cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to connect Laptop to Netgear Wifi Extender - will not accept Security Ke

got2getatan
Grafter

Trying to connect Laptop to Netgear Wifi Extender - will not accept Security Ke

Have PLusnet standard  router and a Netgear Universal Extender. I can see the extender on my lap top(full strength signal) but every time I try to put in the security key it states Miss Match. Any ideas.
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Trying to connect Laptop to Netgear Wifi Extender - will not accept Security Ke

Presumably you are using the Netgear Extender key on it, and not the plusnet router key ?
got2getatan
Grafter

Re: Trying to connect Laptop to Netgear Wifi Extender - will not accept Security Ke

Using the plus net key, there is a Wps pin number of the extender and I have tried this as well. Have tried the plus net wireless network key and the plus net router key but will not accept. Thanks
Thunderclap
Grafter

Well I'm not sure if it's the case in your case but, sometimes, and I do not know why, wireless keys just will not work on new devices wanting to connect. [ I once read it's something to do with the chipset that Netgear uses ]
One trick is to clear/disable the wifi security on the router, connect the device without using the key and then, re-enable wifi security on the router. Now restart the device and it should then ask for or, use the correct key. It's a bit of a muddle but it can work.
got2getatan
Grafter

Thanks I will try that, have emailed Netgear support but have no reply.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have you actually set a key?  You can make the Netgear key whatever you want it to be.  But the Netgear needs to know the key for the router wireless network so it can connect to that and thence to the internet.
What normally happens is that you connect to the Netgear range extender without a key.  This then guides you through a series of pages (viewed in your web browser) that prompt you to do the set-up.   If that is not working I would try a factory-state reset on the Negear extender and start again.  
got2getatan
Grafter

Just dug out my old Bt Hub2 and for some reason I went straight into the Netgear Genie so I have binned the Plusnet router. Thanks.