cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trusteer Rapport

MrT
Grafter

Trusteer Rapport

I have been using Trusteer Rapport for quite some time on any website where I have to enter a password - Banks, Amazon, Airlines, etc.
My Laptop seemed to be getting slower and slower particularly at startup and when browsing.
I noticed that there had been several updates to Rapport over recent months so I decided to try an uninstall to see whether things would get better.
Guess what - startup and browsing speeds have dramatically improved. So no more Rapport.
Most if not all the features are covered by Norton Internet Security which I have installed. The 2 programs were supposed to work together but in recent months I think they have been working against one another.  Huh
18 REPLIES 18
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Trusteer Rapport

I have been using Trusteer for some time, too.... general start up time has not deteriorated... BUT.... FIrefox and Thunderbird seem to take forever, (three mins plus.... ) to appear on screen for the first time of the day.... after the first time, they seem to be pretty quick in appearing
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only thing I have noticed with Firefox is the big delay before the history list (Ctrl H) opens for the first time
jennyBA
Grafter

I have been using Trusteer Rapport for a few months now, and like you my laptop has been getting slower, so i have disabled it for now and it seems to be working faster.
When browsing IE has very often froze up on me and then started again after a few minutes.
Will Rapport be installing updates even though it is disabled?
I use Norton as well so if this gives the security i need i will also consider uninstalling Rapport.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: jennyBA
When browsing IE has very often froze up on me and then started again after a few minutes.
Will Rapport be installing updates even though it is disabled?
I use Norton as well so if this gives the security i need i will also consider uninstalling Rapport.

IE8 freezing regularly was what started my investigation - I'm now fairly sure that Rapport was the culprit
I've now deleted Rapport so can't look at how or when the updates worked.
Norton Internet Security covers most things including Anti-Spyware. If Anti-Spyware includes Keyloggers then I'm not sure what Rapport brings to the party!  Undecided
jennyBA
Grafter

Thanks for that info on IE8, decided to uninstall Rapport completely now, as i have been wondering if it had anything to do with my IE8 freezing up.
So if yours was freezing up the same its probably Rapport thats causing it..  Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: MrT
Norton Internet Security covers most things including Anti-Spyware. If Anti-Spyware includes Keyloggers then I'm not sure what Rapport brings to the party!  Undecided

Most anti-virus / anti-spyware / internet security software is for detecting and removing malware. Rapport is supposed to be for protecting your login details from (undetected) spyware running on your computer. Rapport is so you can still do your banking on your malware ridden computer.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
Most anti-virus / anti-spyware / internet security software is for detecting and removing malware. Rapport is supposed to be for protecting your login details from (undetected) spyware running on your computer. Rapport is so you can still do your banking on your malware ridden computer.

The main problem seems to be key-logging malware. I was suggesting that key-loggers may be classed as spy-ware and therefore picked up by Norton Internt Security. I don't know whether it does or not.
It's not only passwords, etc to Banking sites that need protecting. Rapport also enables you to 'protect' sites such as Amazon or any site where you input passwords, etc.
But if it makes your PC virtually unusable then it is not a lot of good.  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MrT
Grafter

Thanks for that link, Oldjim. I did search but for some reason never came across that thread.
It's 'good' to see that it confirms most of what I had been thinking / posting.
x47c
Grafter

you could try reading this thread on the MSE site (all 316 posts)...and then try making your mind up!
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1579343&highlight=trusteer+rapport
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
you could try reading this thread on the MSE site (all 316 posts).

Thanks for that - I read the first 16 posts and then gave up. Given the security I already have, I think lifes too short for this one!
jennyBA
Grafter

Have uninstalled Rapport and there has been a vast improvement in my laptop performance, no freezing up in IE and appears to be working faster.  Cheesy
matt_2k34
Grafter

Providing your not a total dope, and enter your banking details on the site only, and dont load the page via links in emails for example. Rapport is kinda of an un-necessary addon.
Regards
x47c
Grafter

I think that Rapport is not really aimed at those of us who frequent these and other techie boards.
We are a minority, and to us it is just an annoyance
It is aimed at the "great unwashed" as I have heard them called.
Those who have the same password for everything despite being told endlessly in the media, radio,TV, newspapers,online, by their bank... etc not to do it.
Those who click on email links...again having been endlessly told not to do so.
Those like someone I know whose PC has multiple peculiar start up errors, a non updated OS, a long ago expired virus checker......need I go on, and they do online banking on it!..on the basis that oh well the bank will compensate me whatever.......I wouldn't even sit in front of it let alone touch the thing.