Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trusteer Rapport messed up Windows Defender update

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Trusteer Rapport messed up Windows Defender update

One of my credit card companies prefers me to use Trusteer Rapport as an extra level of security & for several years hasn't caused a problem on my old laptop. I installed it on Tuesday on my new Vaio Pro 13 without any problem. However, I noticed yesterday that W Defender wasn't updating properly. The latest update continually failed to install.
I contacted MS support & one of their techs tried remotely to sort it out. After 2 fruitless hours he gave up & arranged for me to receive a call today from level 2 support.
Having slept on the problem I decided to investigate on my own & suspected that TR may have caused the problem so I uninstalled it but to no effect. I then decided to try system restore & the first restore point was caused by the TR install. The procedure was completed in a couple of minutes (this Vaio is a speedy bird!) & the problem was fixed. The sticking update loaded immediately.
When I received the call from MS at lunchtime I gave them the good news & they will relay the information in case this happens to any other customers. Excellent service from MS.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Trusteer Rapport messed up Windows Defender update

Kaspersky also advise that Trusteer Rapport is incompatible with their Internet Security program
anniesboy
Rising Star

It caused me all sorts of grief, I just got rid of it.
steveuk
Grafter

Natwest keep offering it to me but they got more chance of me winning the lotto than using that software.
For many years i have heard nothing but problems with this software and personly i class it as malware and before anyone says anything i did say i class it as malware but thats personal choise.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Trusteer Rapport = trouble.
Oddly only banks seem to insist that you have it - probably because they got together to have it made. It's still not a patch on proper AV and it does nothing useful that i ever found.
What it does do however is cause problems - repeatedly in some cases.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mav
Fixes: 514

Do some banks refuse cover for any fraudulent/unauthorised access if Trusteer Rapport isn't used?
I know Barclays doesn't.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

I think thats a clause to prevent some of the banks parting with money.
I personally do not use it, & I have never had anyone from my bank tell or advise that I have to use it
Just asked SWMBO and she has never been requested by her bank either
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Oddly only banks seem to insist that you have it - probably because they got together to have it made. It's still not a patch on proper AV and it does nothing useful that i ever found.

Rapport has two functions:
It establishes a link with the bank via some backdoor route out to the internet not involving the browser to confirm that the site you think you are accessing via your browser is actually the real bank's one and not some fake lookalike.  To do this it has to act in partnership with the financial group whose website you are accessing to do this backdoor checking as data will have to pass to and from the banks rapport server to your rapport client service on your computer..  It cannot be effective on 'any old website'.
So it guards against both you accessing a fake lookalike website by accident or via a phishing site link.
Secondly it seems to log and 'hash encrypt' your passwords to try and enforce different passwords being used on different sites by warning you of this. So it in effect is a keylogger of your passwords as it knows if a password has been used before.  
We all know the people who despite being told still use the same password for everything whether that is a forum like this or their bank. Rapport is aimed at them.
It has a totally different function to AV software and does not so far as I'm aware duplicate any function of them and is most definitely not a substitute for them.
Most people who frequent this forum or other techie forums will be aware of the issues that Rapport seeks to prevent.  So they are unlikely to need it - and it is not aimed at them as a 'community'.
It is aimed as those who frankly should not be allowed any where near a computer at all as they click on anything and everything without a care and simply take the attitude that the bank will refund me.

I don't use it.  The key logger aspect of it worries me though I can see its advantage in the anti-fake-site protection facilities.
7up
Community Veteran

Well I've only ever known it to cause trouble - I thought that was its primary purpose  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

Same here as had to remove it from many a PC
7up
Community Veteran

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one!
CX
Grafter

Sounds like it's working exactly as expected.
As for Barclays; don't worry, as they have other means of getting your data in the wrong hands.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: x47c
It is aimed as those who frankly should not be allowed any where near a computer at all as they click on anything and everything without a care and simply take the attitude that the bank will refund me.

This is the conclusion I came to a few years ago when I looked into whether it offers any advantage/extra security over what I already have installed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: CX
As for Barclays; don't worry, as they have other means of getting your data in the wrong hands.

Grin