cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial Period

Revskic
Dabbler

Trial Period

I felt this was the best place to put this, Since i didnt want to waste staff members time reading it when i dont have a problem as such.
I believe i complete a 10 day trial period which should give me an idea of what my connection speeds are likely to be (Please correct me if i'm wrong), My question is do Plus Net offer profile changes in order to obtain better speeds or not ?.
After just 2 days I'm currently hitting around 7mb's which I'm more than happy with but after a few tweeks with the previous provider StalkStalk we managed to get between 10-14mbs, I'm in no rush but I'm a curious so and so.
May i also add the service received here and over the phone by plusnet has so far been excellent.
Cheers
Alex
14 REPLIES 14
phil4
Grafter

Re: Trial Period

I think the 10 days is what they call a "training period".  If I understand correctly this is a period when your router and the exchange try different speeds to see which will give you the most stable high speed connection.
I'd have a look at the sync speed your router connects as a good indicator of the max speed.
There are a few things PN can do help you go faster, but each has a possible risk, affecting either ping times or stability.  Two examples are:
1) Interleaving - turning it on may get you going faster, but will increase ping times, which may have an impact with online gaming.
2) Signal to Noise minimum threshold - setting this too low, could cause instability.
Another thing for you to check through the router is that you're connecting with ADSL2+, rather than ADSL.  The later will have a maximum of 8Mbits, and result in slower speeds.
Revskic
Dabbler

Cheers Phil
according to the nice man i talked to at plus-net yesterday, When i queried a few things he advised i was on up to 8mb, So I'm guessing I'm on ADSL my exchange does have ADSL2+ enabled.
I assume I need to complete my ''training period'' before i can request this to be changed ?.
Cheers
Alex
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes it cant be changed in the 10 days.
Point two were you on LLU with stalk stalk as that is where they use their own switch gear in the exchange and it is similar to ADSL2
Revskic
Dabbler

I believe i was on LLU as far as I'm aware, I was using there equipment and their line .....
I'm at the Illingworth MYHAL exchange and it does say its ADSL+2 enabled so i dont suppose i'll have any issues switching over should i wish to do so, Would just like the best speeds possible it's unlikely we will have fibre installed anytime soon.
Cheers
Alex
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know where you got the info - looks like you havnt got ADSL2+ which is 21CN
Exchange name: Illingworth
Exchange code: MYILL
BT Wholesale information
ADSL status:Enabled as of 18/06/2003
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
SDSL status: Not available
21CN WBC status: Not available
FTTC status: Not available

Exchange name: Halifax
Exchange code: MYHAL
BT Wholesale information
ADSL status: Enabled as of 31/03/2000
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
SDSL status: Enabled as of 30/11/2004
21CN WBC status: Enabled as of 21/03/2009
FTTC status: Available in some areas
Revskic
Dabbler

I checked here
http://community.plus.net/21cn-exchange-availability/
Which does show a ''Y'' which i assumed ment that it was available with ''Y'' meaning ''Yes......
I know an LLU is quicker and our exchange was unbundled by StalkStalk last year, But their customer service is awful and their every increasing prices are a turn off, Even if i can get anywhere near 13+ mbs, I just want the fatest speed available on my line which i assume will be less since I'm now using lesser equipment if that makes sence.
Cheers
Alex
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you chose the wrong exchange (I think) your one is not on that list
Revskic
Dabbler

Sorry your quite right, I am only ADSL and i dont suppose that will be upgraded anytime soon..... Suppose i hit the 8 meg cap on my line i dont suppose i can expect anymore than that ?
Cheers
Alex
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's the case I'm afraid - you won't see better than 8mb speeds on ADSL1.
Revskic
Dabbler

awww well as is life you cant have everything you want  Cry .....
Would it be worth my while upgrading to Pro for my gaming needs i know it wont improve my speed, But it does looks appealing.
Thanks for you help thus far
Cheers
Alex
Revskic
Dabbler

Alas after some investigating, it appears my exchange was put on a list for an ADSL+2 upgrade in August 2010, That said nearly a year on and still no date for installation .....
Nevermind I'm syncing at 8mbs now which is a good sign atleast I'm using everything i can on my line Smiley
CapNcaveman
Grafter

So after a lenghty email back and forth to your customer service reps they sent me a list of compatible routers which I need to replace, but reading the above comments I wanted to clarify that the list of ADSL+2 routers will work with adsl standard lines (under 8mb)..is this correct or do I need to contact helpdesk again Sad
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

All ADSL2+ routers are backwards compatible with ADSL2 and ADSL1. The initial chit-chat between the exchange and the router determines what is the best protocol to use, however in your case the exchange will only offer ADSL1.
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Thanks peter for that info, I now have to go search for a decent cheap one as a couple of months and house is being taken away from me