cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent images - can anyone help please?

Not applicable

Transparent images - can anyone help please?

I have started a basic web design course and am currently creating a small 5-page website for my friend.  I have managed to make a transparent layer using a vignette that I had made (the layer being the photograph canvas).  Now I want to make a transparent layer so that I can 'lift' images out of the photograph.
For instance, I want to remove the background from this Cairn Terrier.  I have Gimp and Paint Shop Pro but have not succeeded with either.
Got closest with Gimp - saved the image in PNG, loaded it, clicked Alpha Channel, fuzzy tool but that is where I get stuck as I can't manipulate it properly and I get dotted lines all over the place.  All I want is Cairn minus the background.  Please can anyone tell me how to do it?
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Transparent images - can anyone help please?

Best effort but I only have Photoshop Elements 2.
Really need an upgrade.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This YouTube video demonstrates a way of cutting foreground from background using GIMP. (Many more tutorials linked on that page.)
Enlarging the image helps with placing nodes to form the path. Dragging the handles allows the path to be curved where appropriate without the need for an excessive number of nodes. It takes a while, and a modicum of patience on complex shapes, but satisfactory results can be achieved with care.
It's probably worth doing a quick trial to get the hang of it first, then repeat for a better fit.
David
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies and for trying to help.
It takes a while, and a modicum of patience on complex shapes,

I think that this sums it up.  I have got the idea in Gimp but I imagine that you have to keep selecting some pixels, click Edit/Clear and then it will work.  As you say, it just takes time and practice.
Thought it might be easier in PSP but TBH I find this rather more complicated than Gimp.  Plus, Gimp documentation is very good and there is lots of information on the web to help get to grips with things.
I will head off over to the link later to check it out. 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In Photoshop I use the 'Magic Wand' tool which often works quite well but when there is a background area of similar colour, shade and texture to the subject (like his back and tail area) it falls down.
This I found to be the case with the dog. At work I used a full commercial version of Photoshop and even it had problems in this area.
The 'Lasso' tool also was a pain at times but with patience could produce acceptable results which needed the bare minimum of retouching.
Good luck Poppy. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Using the "path" tool was what I had in mind. After completing the circuit the anchor points and handles can be adjusted to improve the fit. I assume you have the original image rather than just the thumbnail to work on which should provide more detail for fitting.
Afterwards any knobbly edges can be painted out or blurred to create a smoother shape.
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I did this using Gimp 2.6.11; path tool with a bit of edge painting (in white).
It's over a year since my last use of the program, considerably out of practice. Smiley
David
Not applicable

Considering you are out of practice, that looks very good.  The instructions are to use the fuzzy tool so I didn't know that you could use other ones instead. 
I need to familiarise myself more with the different  tools perhaps!  Huh
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

The main point I'd make about doing this on GIMP (or anything else) is USE A LAYER MASK.
Instead of changing the original image, create a mask that modifies how parts of the image are displayed. You can make a mess of the mask as often as you like until you're happy then flatten the image to get the file you want to save.