cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring files and data from PC to Laptop

JohnCT1
Grafter

Transferring files and data from PC to Laptop

I have become the owner of a laptop, which I wish to use to backup my PC. what is the easiest way to transfer everyting from one to the other? Both run under Windows 10

10 REPLIES 10
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Transferring files and data from PC to Laptop

If you have a couple of network cables then connect the PC and Laptop to the Network, mount (i.e. Map Drive) the PC Drive on the Laptop and you'll then be able to drag and drop between them.

The same can be done if you use a Cat 5 XOver Network cable between the PC and Laptop without the need for an intervening Switch or Hub.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Mook wrote:

The same can be done if you use a Cat 5 XOver Network cable between the PC and Laptop without the need for an intervening Switch or Hub.

@Mook 

I remember doing that many years ago and had to source a crossover cable, but AIUI (depending on the age of the equipment) these days I believe the NICs auto-detect whether a cable is crossover or not and make the necessary adjustments internally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I've been using Syncthing for a number of years now, and would recommend it

https://syncthing.net/

JohnCT1
Grafter

Thank you all for your replies, however I am sorry to say they are too coplicated for me. ☹️

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

FTP is easy.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

VileReynard
Hero

@Mook wrote:

If you have a couple of network cables then connect the PC and Laptop to the Network, mount (i.e. Map Drive) the PC Drive on the Laptop and you'll then be able to drag and drop between them.

A router has a switch built-in - so you could use that. 😀

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@JohnCT1 wrote:

Thank you all for your replies, however I am sorry to say they are too coplicated for me. ☹️

Two methods come to mind....

1st method

Buy a 64GB usb stick.... and format it..... then copy all the folders and files you want to tranfer.from computer A

and then copy back to lapto B .

2nd Method..

Buy a suitable "caddy"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=usb+caddy&_sacat=0

and remove the hard drive from the laptop..( assuming you are able to do that,,... as somem are not accessible)...

Place the hdd in the caddy... plug in the usb cable from the caddy to the computer usb slot.

transfer your files and folders directly from the computer to the laptop hdd...  by "drag and drop"...

The caddy will show up as and extra drive letter under "Computer"   e.g.  Drive C:/  ( normal computer drive)

Drive D:/  caddy hard drive.

You could keep the caddy and hard drive connected to the main computer... and transfer any "new" stuff ,.... as and when needed... 

VileReynard
Hero

If you have an external disk, you could clone your laptop's disk to it (without having to remove it).

One excellent piece of software is Clonezilla (free software).

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Use CLONEZILLA  or any similar software, with EXTREME CAUTION as you could wipe your main computer drive, instead of cloning it... Shocked

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@JohnCT1 wrote:what is the easiest way to transfer everyting from one to the other? Both run under Windows 10

You haven't said whether you want it automated or manual. Have a read of this. Article 1 or 4 maybe. It might do you as both are running on Win 10.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?