cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring contents of old HDD to a new one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transferring contents of old HDD to a new one.

Having looked at the GX110 specification, the FIRST thing you should do is upgrade the RAM to the maximum that can be fitted - as the standard 256MB is not enough for anything.
Again even if you have to dump your existing RAM, to buy a full capacity set on eBay will cost you £4 to £6.
If you then get the bug for getting a little more speed at minimum cost, then it should be possible to upgrade the CPU to at least 1000MHz, and possibly up to 1400MHz.
Again eBay prices for this age of CPU is about £7 including postage !.
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks to all of you, the wealth of advice will take some time to sift and absorb!  I am already on Ubuntu with my laptop and ready to to tackle upgrading 8.04 to 10.04, all a subject of other threads due to 10.04 being a bit reluctant to behave in Live CD mode right now.. The Dell machine already has 512MB RAM. I was not aware of the HDD addressing limit problem with the present setup. I only really wanted to have some sort of Win availability to use bits of kit which I value (like Canon printer/scanner pair) and others that work better than with Linux. It is a pity that some manufacturers fail to see the value of the Linux population as customers for drivers, although there seems to be a bit of a tide-change on the horizon (like Canon). I left MS when I was on Win98SE which went unstable on a tower and then on this laptop. I have yet to see the Linux equivalent of a blue screen over the 3 years of continuous use, long may that last! No doubt more will require discussion.
VMTX
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing to consider with the old Dell, is even if it turns out to be too slow as a desktop PC, then you could always build an Ubuntu server with it.
I run several 533MHz CPU Ubuntu servers and they are more than fast enough for a home network, although I do run with them with a 1GB of RAM.
You could install -
ntp server - as a local time reference - synced to an atomic clock
Caching DNS server - to speed up ALL web access on your home network - and improve reliability
email server - Control your email independently of Plusnet and add anti-virus, anti-malware, your own webmail ....
Apache web server - have your own in-house intranet and/or serve web pages for the rest of the world to see.
squid caching web proxy - speed up your local internet browsing AND minimize your Plusnet download usage.
Samba NAS - use your 160GB drive as a shared hard drive available to every PC on your network - including the Windows machines.
Network firewall - to give the ultimate control over what gets onto your network
The list of possibilities goes on and on,  print server,  database,  network anonymizer,  DHCP server,  scheduled iPlayer program downloader, media server,  VPN,  apt-mirror repository ....
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi purleigh!
Sorry for the pause...A little SWMBO-trouble (grass-cutting this time!!)
Your last two posts well received. Being a simple chap without a home network, the server idea does not really fit the bill. The Dell was originally used as a server which explains its simplicity. I am glad to be shot of Gates bloat but really only want it for some bits that Ubuntu does not really agree with. I am not in the massive down-loading of videos or gaming so high speeds and large RAMs are not vital. I am going to print out the whole of this thread for quiet contemplation!!
I am intrigued that you folks can quote prices on eBay, I have not ventured into that area at all and thought that being an auction site the availability and price would vary from time to time. Perhaps you can educate me of the simple way to go about it all, I am too old to learn new tricks quickly and have not had the urge to delve into eBay for anything. Clearly you all are well into such matters. I left programming with 6502 Commodore Business Machines with Basic (did do a Fortran course once) and not a lot of machine language...that dates me does it not!!
Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are in luck, there is another forum thread running at the moment (which I am also posting into) about how to get started on eBay and PayPal - with lots of hints and tips ! 
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88337.0.html
eBay is the perfect place to buy upgrade components for obsolete computers.
There are thousands of people breaking down their old machines and selling the parts for more money than they could get selling the PC as a whole.
Yes the prices of computer parts varies from time to time, and when you are very lucky you can get a great bargain,
but when you watch hundreds of like-for-like items every day (like I do), you get to know what the 'going price' is - and it is actually quite consistent.
For your reference, on eBay you should easily be able to pick up a 3.5" 160GB HDD, sealed and unused, or barely used, for £17 to £19 - including P&P.
[quote=colintivy]A little SWMBO-trouble (grass-cutting this time!!)
I have SWMBO grass cutting trouble too - she refuses to do it !
[quote=colintivy]I left programming with 6502
I remember 6502 VERY well, but rather than "Commodore Business Machines", I was a BBC micro addict.
I once completely reverse engineered the BBC operating system, and built a 16 parallel CPU 'second processor' that ran like a Transputer array - which gave me huge speed (for the time).
As part of reverse engineering the OS, I wrote an entire BBC micro simulator in Pascal, that ran on a VAX mini-computer onto a VT220/VT240 colour graphics terminal.
I also designed and built, paged ROM and RAM boards, a 6502 printer buffer with 64K dynamic RAM, and used a tracker ball to provide a mouse input.
One project was a 'LISP' second processor built entirely from TTL logic gates (i.e. no CPU),
and at one point I programmed a ROM to make the BBC screen look and operate like the first generation Macintosh computers.
I could go on but it would make very boring reading - it was one of those "you had to be there" things.
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks for all that, I will look at eBay sometime soon. From what I have read elsewhere there seems to be quite a lot of complication...premium accounts etc., I do have a PayPal account linked to a credit card which has worked well with simple transactions including a refund, so that is no problem. Hearing that you look at hundreds of items, I do not think that I can spare the time. I had looked at the thread you mentioned but, seeing that the OP was more interested in selling, I did not pursue it too deeply but I did see your input. Will look harder this time.
I am very impressed with your prowess in early computer magic. My activity was , in retrospect, pretty simple but never the less enjoyable. At work we had a middle-sized data centre with a main frame, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to get small jobs into the queue which never seemed to move much. We finally got the system to sanction a few personal machines and proceeded to do some self-education. One personal triumph was to convert a sizeable existing program from Fortran into Basic which meant we could use in seconds to what could take weeks through "official" channels, without any apparent reduction in mathematical accuracy!. It is interesting to note (depressing?) that then each item of hardware we had, ie. Computer with display & keyboard, twin disk 5" floppy and intelligent dot matrix printer, each with its 6502, cost about 1000 pounds (sorry I have not got my GPB symbol working yet, software trouble which will be corrected when I install U 9.10 or 10.04).
Cheesy
magnetism2772
Grafter

bah!!!!
all this  boasting  is nothing compared to writing the smallest  computer programs in the world.
50 byte file sized programs loading  addresses of DOS functions  then just calling them to do all the work are common  Cool
colintivy
Rising Star

Sorry Giro, Some of us OAPs do tend to reminisce I am afraid, it is a common trait. I am certainly on a learning curve after so long but, with so much going on under the bonnet, and so little of the grey matter left it can get a bit bewildering! (But I do remember, vaguely, DOS as a slightly dark art but very handy.
Cheesy  Cheesy
magnetism2772
Grafter

I was only thinking the same last night
Its time to shut down the brain when that happens.
which i do myself daily
colintivy
Rising Star

Brain well and truly shut down now, "Finish with engines" etc., Off for a few days to recuperate!!
Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

purleigh re replies  14/15
Thanks for these, all very interesting. I have looked on eBay and found both Promise cards are on offer. Can you advise on the choice to be made? I note that there are two Dell 100 cards, one identified as 49JCK, the other as 23WHP, are these significantly different? Do you think that the Dell ones could be more suitable for my Dell machine or are all of them OK?
I have printed out a copy of the spec which has cleared up a lot, particularly that my 512 MHz RAM is all the motherboard can cope with, so that removes that item from the possible improvements.
I could also get more elbow room if I cloned the little HD on to the larger one  and used it as the primary HD, but how do I sort out MS$ with the change of serial number of the new HD? I assume that this could be required if  someone had a HD crash and hence a new one had to be fitted. I would guess a phone call to them ought to make it possible.
Undecided
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding the Promise cards, the numbers refer to UDMA/100 and UDMA/133 disk interface speeds of 100MB/s and 133MB/s respectively.
I generally run 100MB/s disk drives (as they are cheap) and then software RAID-0 them to get the speed back, but if your new 160GB drive is 133MB/s then you want the faster card.
I don't know anything about "Dell 100 cards", unless they are just re-badged Promise cards ?
The handbook for the Promise Ultra100 TX2 is here http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/Support/Manual/Ultra100_TX2_manual_En.pdf, and the Ultra133 TX2 http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/Support/Manual/u133_manual_Promise_v2.PDF
Regarding your RAM, if you are already at maximum capacity, you might want to check whether there is anything to be gained from fitting faster memory.
What often happens with consumer PC's is that the motherboard can often support faster components, BUT at the time of sale the faster parts (for a given capacity) make the overall cost uncompetitive - so slower parts are fitted.
However as time goes on and new technologies evolve, the faster components become cheaper, so it MIGHT be possible to improve the system speed IF your existing RAM is slower than the motherboards maximum specification.
Look for lower CL numbers in particular.
I have cloned about half a dozen Windows XP machines from the original drive to a much larger one (and then fitted the new bigger drive back into the SAME machine), and have NEVER had a problem.
Having said that I am constantly upgrading PC's RAM, optical drives, CPUs,  interface cards, and not had a problem there either.  I would imagine that a different motherboard would cause M$ to require an explanation of a change in usage of your XP license.
The biggest problem I see with what you are doing, is that a fully updated Windows XP does not run very well in 512MB of RAM, and you lose a lot of potential speed to servicing the swap file.
You might want to use the new HDD for the Windows installation, but fit your old HDD as well and then configure Windows to use the second drive as the swap file drive.
It is not ideal using the slower drive as the swap drive, but you do gain a little by the fact that it is on a separate physical drive and therefore not causing the disk heads of your main drive to be constantly moving between swap file and the task it should be concentrating on.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=purleigh]For your reference, on eBay you should easily be able to pick up a 3.5" 160GB HDD, sealed and unused, or barely used, for £17 to £19 - including P&P.
This NEW 160GB 3.5" PATA drive just ended on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290475281904&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefre...
I was only 60p out !
Never mind there will be another one along soon enough - although I am looking for something with at least an 8MB cache fitted, rather than the standard 2MB usually supplied.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you want loads of storage, new 1TB drives are available for less than £50.
Although possibly old machines might not be able to cope with that much.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

@purleigh
Thanks for all that. Firstly my new 160GB Drive is a Seagate DB 35.2 which I see is a IDE/100 therefore the 100 cards are going to be the thing. With array of prices for these cards on eBay, what is the best source of choice? Not many say where they are from, probably not the cheapest?.
What I had in mind is dispensing with the little HD altogether and getting XP ticking on the new one. It certainly seems to jog along well enough with the existing except for the room on it. I am glad I am not going to mix with MS$ over serial nos which I had been told that I might, partly because I do not have the serial no of the XP.
If that all goes well then I may think of getting another 160GB Drive and put some flavour of Linux to play with in a dual boot arrangement. Now that PCLinux2010 has at last appeared I might try that for better hardware support (if any). Perhaps I am being too ambitious?Huh
@Jeremy,
Thanks, but perhaps a sort of overkill in my case?