cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring XP to new user without formatting or wiping HD. Advice Please

juliasdream
Grafter

Transferring XP to new user without formatting or wiping HD. Advice Please

I'm passing my old computer on to someone and I dont want to have to format the HD or re-install windows XP home
I have removed all unwanted programs. Removed additional users along with their data and I have emptied all of my personal data from My Docs, Outloox express and Thunderbird.
I also emptied favourites and links. I have been very thorough
I am now wondering if there is a program that can wipe clean only the unused part of the disc and not the operating system or programs
Also if its possible to change the username from mine to his
Any advice and suggestions would be gratefully received
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: Transferring XP to new user without formatting or wiping HD. Advice Please

You havent wiped everything i can guarantee that there are hidden files like index.dat you cant wipe and then there is the registery add to that the files are only deleted and still on the drive. Your best bet is Disk wipe and clean from
http://www.r-wipe.com/
You can get a trail which will do what you want. Its all down to risk management if you have bank details credit card etc and you dont know were it will end up then dont risk it format the drive several times after deleting the partition.
jackoab
Grafter

Killdisk has a setting that will just wipe the unused sections of a HDD.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you a copy of the XP disc, if so do a new install that should get rid of the obscure hidden information  especially if it is the manufactures recovery disc
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Quote from: juliasdream
...Also if its possible to change the username from mine to his
Any advice and suggestions would be gratefully received
Thanks

You will need Regedit for that one.  Just run it and search the registry for your name, when It finds an instance, double click on it and change it to whatever it's going to be.  Alternatively, if you are not comfortable poking at the registry manualy, look out for somthing like TweekXP and/or XP PowerTools.  These programs and others of their ilk tend to have functions that let you customise the reg' using a nice little gui interface with much less risk.
As for the cleaning of your empty space...I personaly recomend replacing the physical HDD.  I have formated, reformated, de-partitioned and changed the Allocation Table type and still the data that was deleted was recoverable by use of an easily downloaded piece of software.  programs like windows washer running a bleach on the disk might work, but my personal (and probably O.T.T.) opinion:- if there is any sensitive data on the disk, either keep it or destroy it.  It's easy to get and run Norton Ghost to clone the data on the existing partition over onto a new HDD.  And if you do it via a ghost image you can even send that out with the lappy as a "recovery disk"  Wink
God
Grafter

http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ Will allow you to change the user name along with recovering any install keys you might need. Some AV programs designate this program as greyware, however it does not pose a threat to your machine.
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
You havent wiped everything i can guarantee that there are hidden files like index.dat you cant wipe and then there is the registery add to that the files are only deleted and still on the drive. Your best bet is Disk wipe and clean from
http://www.r-wipe.com/
You can get a trail which will do what you want. Its all down to risk management if you have bank details credit card etc and you dont know were it will end up then dont risk it format the drive several times after deleting the partition.

Thanks to all for that. r-wipe did the trick