cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering VHS to DVD

weatherman
Grafter

Transfering VHS to DVD

I am trying to copy my old tapes onto DVD but have had no luck so far, I have a Hauppauge HVR 1300 tv card but using a Scart plug with S-Video & composite video connectors on it  I have had no luck, any help would be appreciated
7 REPLIES 7
samuria
Grafter

Re: Transfering VHS to DVD

The only way I found to do it was to use the rf out of the video tune the tv card to that and capture the video that way.
It worked a treat a bit slow but as long as you hd can keep up with the capture its works a treat.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Just done a quick search for you and came across http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/VCRtoDVD.htm
It's quite a lengthy read so I didn't go through it all, but it seems like a step-by-step guide for what you require.
jnwright
Grafter

There are two types of Scart plug adapters around with S-video and composite video connectors.  One type is only used to feed signals to the VHS.  The other has a switch on it and can be used to get signals both in and out of a VHS.  Have a look at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?mainclassid=108&pctitle=Scart&classtype=M&doy=5m9&C=Maplin&U=Top...
Have a look at L85BA.  This scart adapter has the switch to enable the correct pins for input and output to be used.
It is possible that the VHS machine is not s-video enabled, in which case you will have to use the composite video.  See the faq at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=13372&doy=5m9#faq
It  often takes patience to get it working right first time!  I use a different card (Pinnacle) with success!
Good luck!
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Taking a completely different direction and leaving the PC, cables, capture cards and software out of the equation - why not just pick up a cheap consumer DVD recorder - you can get one these days for the price of a capture card and you aren't going to have all that messing around with installing software and finding the right cables.
One video recorder, one DVD recorder, and a Scart lead. Easy.
I messed around with capture cards trying to get video off my Hi-8 video cam, in the end I found the easiest way (and in the long run, the quickest way) was to plug the camera into my DVD recorder, press play on the cam and record on the DVD, then when I'd recorded everything I needed, lift the VOB files straight off the DVD disk, If I use a DVD RW, I can even use the disk again.
Even if you want to edit the video, the idea is still valid. You can edit the VOB and reauthor them. It's the capture that is the most difficult bit to do, so don't do it on the computer.
Just a different thought for you to ponder.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I know it's probably an expensive answer but, it's still possible to purchase "combi" VHS/DVD recorders, which will transfer almost automatically, I've been slowly transferring my old video collection onto DVD for a couple of years now, probably to finish in time for DVD to become obsolete and to restart the process from DVD onto whatever replaces it I suppose (providing some enterprising manufacturer produces a combi I suppose)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Further to my previous reply:
If you're transferring main stream films/movies you should remember that any originally on VHS after the 1990's probably have anti-copy built in, and I'm none too sure about the legalities of doing it anyway (assuming you're interested in the legalities of course!!) anti-copy also works on combi machines (I know)
However, having been doing some of this for some time, I've found in the case of movies that it's easier and probably cheaper to buy a new DVD copy from somewhere like Amazon using the used copy options which, are often dirt cheap and, I've yet to have a dud, and bin the VHS copies or give them away to deserving causes like old peoples homes that still have VHS machines in use etc. Can be even cheaper if you have a multi-region machine and can get the US region 1 copies. This of course doesn't apply if it's irreplaceable home movies you are dealing with.
For combi machines check out Ebay.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
weatherman
Grafter

I have solved the problem, I bought a Dazzle tape to DVD copier which works ok on composite it has a USB connector on one end and composite red, yellow & white + S-Video sockets on the other, you can copy direct to DVD or as I have, so far, put it through Ulead video studio (you can then edit it) I had trouble getting sound to start with but after a bit of fiddling around managed to sort it, I would like to use the S-Video connection as it would give better quality but havn't worked that one out yet