Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchpad issues

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Touchpad issues

Been trying to work though this issues for a couple of weeks now, but I am stumped.  A while ago, the touchpad and buttons stopped working on my tosh laptop.  Cursor etc works fine with a USB mouse.  Looked in device manager, and no sign of a touchpad.  I have tried scanning for new hardware, downloading the drivers, and trying to reinstall them, even resorted to a reinstall, after backing up my stuff, all to no avail.( From the factory restore disks I made)  BIOS reports touchpad as enabled, and I have reset the BIOS to its defaults.  FN Key+9 does nothing, as this is the key combination to enable and disable the touchpad... Thinking this must be a hardware failure, I got a new touchpad assembly and fitted it, but it still does not work..  Could this possibly be a motherboard issue or a faulty cable (new touchpad came with cables), the laptop works fine in all other respects, but its a pain having to use a mouse.  After my efforts have failed, I would welcome any advice that you chaps might have......
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Touchpad issues

If the touchpad is not shown in Device Manager and there are no unknown devices reported, then as far as Windows is concerned you do not have a touchpad.  If you are a Linux fiend you could try a Linux boot disc and see if the touchpad works for Linux, but I doubt it will.  You've checked your BIOS settings so there isn't really anything left but a faulty motherboard or a faulty cable as the cause of your problems. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

There is an unknown device reported, but whatever I do, this stays as it is.  Forgot to mention, I did try a linux boot disk, this didnt work either.....  Tried Ubuntu 10 and 11
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Touchpads are impossible to use anyway.
Get a mouse.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: penfold
There is an unknown device reported, but whatever I do, this stays as it is. 

Does it go away if you disconnect the cable to the touchpad then run the computer?
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: A
Get a mouse.

I bought a micro mouse at the same time as my Viao. But there is isn't always a surface available to use when you're on the move and the space beside the touchpad isn't always enough Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this solution seems like clutching at straws, but if you Google this problem, several people have done everything you have tried on their Toshiba's and failed but then removed the main battery, left the machine without power overnight, and then in the morning reassembled the machine and allegedly the touchpad is reported to be permanently fixed !
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: A
Get a mouse.

But there is isn't always a surface available to use when you're on the move

I have a spare laptop that I keep in the car, and use my right knee to use the mouse on, with the laptop almost vertical resting back on the steering wheel....
(note to pedants, and road safety officers... I do not use the laptop whilst the vehicle is in motion.  Roll_eyes )
Mav

Quote from: shutter
I have a spare laptop that I keep in the car, and use my right knee to use the mouse on, with the laptop almost vertical resting back on the steering wheel....

Not sure if that will work with my bony knees Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=shutter]I have a spare laptop that I keep in the car, and use my right knee to use the mouse on, with the laptop almost vertical resting back on the steering wheel....
I've posted about this before, you need this - Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk
Mav

With the sort of mentality that sees many drivers using their mobiles while driving I can see claims being made for broken laptops as they slide off while going round corners Wink

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for everyones help and advice.... I have fixed it, but i feel like a total prat.... The laptop was
in bits for a good couple of days, until new touchpad assembly arrived. Looking at the new one there was a plastic tab on it, which i assumed was to aid removal. No!!!, after examining the old one, seemd the contacts are at the top. What the tab is for is anyones guess. Anyhow its fixed. Note to self... Next time take photos