Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toshiba/Vista laptop

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Toshiba/Vista laptop

Just found out after trying to logon to my wifes' online banking on her Toshiba laptop, that there is no caps lock indicator to show it's selected, which unknown to us produced some very strange (and failed) passwords etc.
Does anybody known if there is an on-screen indicator for caps lock on please? there is nothing on the keyboard/case that lights up etc. unlike my HP which has a light beside the key.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Toshiba/Vista laptop

Have you had a look at the "workshop/user manual" that should be somewhere on your HDD.  There may be something mentioned in it..... alternatively, go to the website, and send them an email/query .... is there a Toshiba forum?
amcclean
Rising Star

Toshiba have obviously been listening to someone I just picked up and new laptop today and the caps key has a green led on it which is lit when caps lock is on. Sorry i can't help you but atleast it's on the new models.

Podman
petlew
Pro

Please don't take this the wrong way podman...but, thank's

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Further to this, there is a "mountain" of free software out there for this problem, a cursory glance round on the web suggests that we are not alone with this problem, a little investigating found it was our cat, who likes to walk over and curl up on the laptop(s) keyboard(s) who was pressing the caps lock key.
Thank you those who responded.

petlew
Pro

Just to complete this; a while back I replaced the rather clunky keyboard for my HP desktop with a Labtec "mini" keyboard, which came with a setup disk, that provides the answer I was looking for; to add caps lock, num lock and scroll lock icons in the system tray, that change colour when "on" (num lock is of course not required on a laptop, but can be deselected) I'd completely forgotten about having this already.
I would imagine (but not looked) that this very neat answer is available on the Labtec website (from the disk: keyboard/desktop software 1.1) it only shows up to Win Xp, but I had no problems with it for Vista. It leaves a permanent on-screen reminder of the lock positions (if you have no other method of showing it) most of the other (free) downloads I tried just flashed up the press of the key on or off for a second or two.