Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrents

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Torrents

Have just downloaded a copy of Mint 14 and noticed there are various options for the download on the official website, one of these is a torrent. Must admit I know nothing about torrents and choose an alternative option but out of interest is there any advantage in using a torrent or is it vulnerable.
I have always associated torrents with something dodgy but as I say I know nothing about them.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Torrents

Torrents are just a technology for sharing files.  What you share is a different matter!
http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/peersharing/a/torrenthandbook.htm
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

As Kelly says they are just an alternative way of distributing content. Some apps will actually use torrent tech to download/share the file you are downloading. LEGAL torrents are not quite as well known as their shadier brethren.
If you download using a torrent then the load is taken off the serving machine, as it comes from lots of people (once it has started). I believe that a client is installed by default in Mint, so all you would have had to do was click on the torrent file.
They can be as fast as a direct download or extremely SLOW, depends on many factors. I tend to get the ISO's as torrents as it saves the bandwidth on the Mint servers.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for that info and link to that site.  Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

If you're downloading Linux distros, using torrents is the helpful/polite thing to do, since the load is taken off their servers/saves them bandwidth ( especially helpful when a new version is released) and they are after all providing you with a free OS and their work is often community funded by donations.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Another bonus with deluge which I use is that it checks the file you have downloaded and compares it to the original so if you're doing a biggish download say a linux operating system you can tell if there was any errors before you burn the disc and make yourself a nice silver coaster.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I always use torrents for Linux and its often faster for smaller distros.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."