Re: Top Quality AntiVirus Package now free - Yes KASPERSKY

For those that have Macs I find Sophos home use is also free

https://home.sophos.com/mac

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

But ,,

US government bans agencies from using Kaspersky software over spying fears  Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I imagine Kaspersky is in some financial difficulty, seeing its products shunned in the USA.  Some of the background to this is here: https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/10/russian-hackers-reportedly-used-kaspersky-a...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

He must have really upset the NSA

http://fortune.com/2017/10/07/equifax-credit-kaspersky-security-nsa-hack-yahoo/

Now we finally have some insight into why the U.S. has been giving one of Russia’s greatest business successes—a protector of more than 400 million people’s computers—the snub. According to a much-pored over report by the Wall Street Journal, an NSA hacker flouted protocol (and all common sense) two years ago by taking work home to a personal computer that ran Kaspersky software. The mistake would prove catastrophic.

Kaspersky’s cloud-based malware detection engine is said to have discovered and catalogued the digital contents of the rogue employee’s machine, including its top secret hacking code. This trove then wound up in the hands of Moscow’s spies.

So the antivirus did what it was supposed to do and found some nasties which were then reported back to Kaspersky (you can disable that if you want) and that is Kaspersky's fault

You have to ask about NSA Security

Oldjim
Resting Legend

For those interested there is an extensive discussion here on the free product https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/kaspersky-free.386916/page-2 from post 45 onwards

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I might be being very biased here but, I've never touched it knowing it was Rusian.

I've used AVGFree for many years but I'm not very happy with how it was staying connected to multiple servers with just the very basic virus detection settings installed. I was also mugged into installing Chrome by default! serves me right for not looking at the Basic install settings properly.

Edit: Forgot to say now Uninstalled.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@30FTTC06 wrote:

I might be being very biased here but, I've never touched it knowing it was Rusian..

Basically my thoughts too. Russia is known to have a large hacking industry which has no respect for anyone or the consequences of their actions.

Why would I want to trust software security from that country?

OldJim quotes a cloud based detection engine. You could read and understand that to mean that it detects anything it wants (or is instructed to find) and upload it.. OR that it just uploads anything it can and supposedly analyses it.

Either way i'm not too keen on trusting the ruskies with my stuff when their leader frequently likes to point out how he's refreshing his nuclear bombs with bigger and more powerful blasts.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You do realise that all the big anti virus companies use cloud or equivalent for rapid response to new threats