Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top 10 Broadband...

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Top 10 Broadband...

Anyone else tried their speed test?
Hmm, I think its a bit wobbly as it says my upload is 0,4Mb and my download speed is .....
7.5Mb
Which on my line is just NOT possible 😉
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: Top 10 Broadband...

Yeah, it's rubbish.
They had to take it down yesterday because of 'load issues'.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

It shows someone near my brother (who is also on PN and gets about the same speed as me) as being on Sky and getting 85Mb !!

Note the PlusNet speed!!!
scootie
Grafter

detects me as being a bt broadband customer. would that be due to bt group owning the ip's
problems
1 they dont ask if your on a fixed 2mb line ect ( example i see a plusnet customer next to my exchange at a speed of 1.9mb and me miles away at 2.6mb which my brain says there on a fixed 2mb line or have serious line fault)
2 they should enable the results to show 2 tests of a line if they have bein done showing the time of day for each ( that would enable me to look at these punks on sky in the next street getin twice my speed to see how lucky they are at peak times or if it was just top 10 broadbands servers throwing a wobble and mis reporting hence the need for more than just the fastest speed result on a line to be shown)
Addnan
Grafter

It says I am a Virgin customer, then the speedtest says 13.6 mbs. Speedtest.net says 5.7mbs.
reserved
Grafter

It say's I'm with BT. Last night it said 13.6Mb/s,  this morning 1.7Mb/s  Grin
mybroadbandspeed gives 6.5 Mb/s which I find more realistic!
robalb
Grafter

Local speeds

Went to Top 10 Broadband today - did a speed test and got a 5.4 mb download speed. Compare that to, thru plus net, "My Broadband Speed" which gives a download of 6.2 Mb and has done so consistently over the past month. Over at BT the download speed for my line is 5.6 mb. I wonder who might be correct?
More interestingly "My Broadband Speed" suggests that Plus Net is not giving a very good speed for my postcode - although the sample size appears to be smaller than the number of providers listed. All very strange.
Why do the different speed tests give such different results, (all carried out within minutes of each other)? and
Why would different ISPs have very different local speeds? Do they not all use the same exchanges and equipment?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

mod:note
merged 2 topics together
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Grff
Grafter

someone next to my old house is apparently on 49mb Virgin.  Is that even possible?
scootie
Grafter

@griff. are you saying your old street wasnt a cable area? if so most likely user error  inputing the post code for the test and tainting the results me thinks
i did at least 3 speed tests last night and its still not showing on the street map
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What a complete load of utter rubbish! Look at the results its just given me in the attached screenshot.
I'm on PAYG with Max Premium (so I have high priority from both Plusnet and BT), I have a solid 8128 sync (7150 IP Profile) and interleaving is off.
This is a far more realistic result

Apparently the average speed for Virgin in my area is 8.5Mb and O2 is 6.9Mb - not sure how that can be if you check out the cable and LLU availability on my exchange! http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDHRSTP
Edit: It gets better! Apparently a nearby BT user is getting a speed of 9.2Mb - pretty clever if you look at the 21CN status of the exchange.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

spot the connection that in threoy shouldnt of even bein able to start the test  Crazy
which side of the map do you think the exchange is located, left or right?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Better still apparently Eclipse can give me up to 24Mb - that must be right because I gave Top 10 my postcode.
So I've just rung Eclipse sales - no prizes for guessing what they said. I suggested to the very nice lady I spoke to that perhaps she should flag up to her supervisor that Top10broadband is giving out duff info!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Grff
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO
@griff. are you saying your old street wasnt a cable area? if so most likely user error  inputing the post code for the test and tainting the results me thinks
i did at least 3 speed tests last night and its still not showing on the street map

My old street does have cable, although seeing as I can't get cable here i've not been kept upto speed with it.  I just assumed even cable wasn't up to that sort of speed yet.