cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many devices connected to Hub One?

IceColdRum
Dabbler

Too many devices connected to Hub One?

I think my router might be starting to struggle with the amount of devices I'm connecting to it especially around this time of year where friends and family are using my wifi as well... currently I have probably just under 10 devices connected to the router (A Plusnet Hub One) but it will regularly kick off a device or some devices just won't connect such as my Amazon Echo 😕 when I lived at home I got round this in the end by connecting a second Hub One as a slave what I wanted to know is if it's possible to benefit this way by repeating the same wifi SSID instead of having a slave running a separate network? I may invest in a better router early next year but currently I'm looking for budget friendly options and I have a second Hub One knocking around

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Too many devices connected to Hub One?

Wifi was never designed for a lot of devices - it was just an extra intended for a couple of laptops.

Why not try splitting your 2.4 & 5GHz wifi so that you can choose which (if any) devices can be steered via the 5GHz network by using different SSID names for the two bands.

Try connecting your fixed devices with fixed ethernet wiring.

I can't understand why people actually buy devices such as the Amazon Echo to upload their conversations to a multinational company?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

IceColdRum
Dabbler

Unfortunately none of my devices have Ethernet capability even my laptop doesn't have one (much to my annoyance!) 

I'll give your other ideas ago though

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@IceColdRum wrote:

Unfortunately none of my devices have Ethernet capability even my laptop doesn't have one 

How about one of these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=asc_df_B00M77HMU057863804/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=221...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've never tried one of these gadgets - but it seems worth a try, since you can always return it if it doesn't suit.

"The USB 3.0 male A to RJ45 female adapter supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet at USB 3.0 speeds (640Mbs), which is faster than 10/100 adapters and most wireless connections" - I always thought that Ethernet negotiated either 100 or 1000 speeds, nothing in between, so I would expect that you would be restricted to 100Mbits/sec.

Might be wrong though. Thumbs_Up

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought these to give me dual NICs on my 6 Node Pi Cluster and I've found them to be faultless, even on the Pi it was Plug and Play and well worth the money for me.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@VileReynard wrote:

Wifi was never designed for a lot of devices - it was just an extra intended for a couple of laptops.

802.11a/b may not have been however later developments are specifically designed to handle as much data / devices as possible.

2.4GHz wifi vs a 4G phone mast operating at 800MHz with hundreds of users. Go figure!

It's not about the frequency so much as to how the devices on that same frequency time the way they transmit and receive data packets. Admittedly there are other 4G bands at 1.8GHz and 2.6GHz but at those frequencies the range is less anyway and the former two bands are still lower than WiFi.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

Hi there

I had a similar situation and ran a single wired connection to the back of our house and put another wireless router there that connects to a Hub One Ethernet port.  If you have no Ethernet ports free, you can put a cheap Gigabit Ethernet switch on it to act as a multiplexor.  We also did this running a single cable from the lounge to the Hub One in the garage that connects the TV, Sky box and blue ray player.  Be careful of doing this with a Amazon Fire (if I remember correctly) as that runs faster over a wireless connection.

I also found it useful to draw a diagram and 'zone' the house to see what was best where.

Hope this helps

Mike

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@IceColdRum wrote:

I think my router might be starting to struggle with the amount of devices I'm connecting to it especially around this time of year where friends and family are using my wifi as well... currently I have probably just under 10 devices connected to the router (A Plusnet Hub One) but it will regularly kick off a device or some devices just won't connect such as my Amazon Echo 😕 when I lived at home I got round this in the end by connecting a second Hub One as a slave what I wanted to know is if it's possible to benefit this way by repeating the same wifi SSID instead of having a slave running a separate network? I may invest in a better router early next year but currently I'm looking for budget friendly options and I have a second Hub One knocking around

Thank you

you will find that most ISP provided routers cannot actually handle more than 8 devices in use at the same time, its one of the reasons why plusnet has been my preferred ISP for nearly a decade since I can buy my own router and use it (ive had more than 12 wired devices and almost double that on wifi for more than a decade due to having a large family) but then your into soho routers and those are not generally cheap.... but unlike most isp's plusnet was upfront about this when asked its one of the reasons that any router they have sent me in the past has only ever been out of the packaging if its required for testing something and fortunately I havent needed that in at least 5 years / 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you