cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Much Protection

valart
Grafter

Too Much Protection

I just wondered if I have too many virus protection programs because I have AVG,Malwarebytes,and Advanced System Care all these are free but I feel that my latest download AVG program has slowed my startup.Do I need all this protection.
16 REPLIES 16
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Too Much Protection

"Advanced System Care" doesn't seem to have much to do with virus protection.
If you don't like AVG, then try a different anti-virus. I think AVG 2011 is worse than 9.0, which was worse than 8.5. I don't think I will be installing the next version.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Recent versions of AVG do not run well on older computers.  I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as a better alternative.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

pesonally i dont like any of the so called system maintainance suite,s like advance system care, they do nothing to better your system !.
all i use is "Crap Cleaner " malwarebytes, and Comodo AV.
AV is a big choice out there but it depens what ya get used to , there is a lot of good one but also a lot of crap to choose from in fact i would say the best i have tried was NOD32, but the Comodo is handy as it is a firewall / AV and is easy to use.
but it is up to everyone to make there own choice
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I was an ardent supporter of AVG FREE since 4.5 many years ago.... then just recently (late last year) I had issues with machine speed, and decided to dump AVG (as I had seen similar reports this was the cause)... and now run AVIRA free.... it updates automatically, sometimes two or three times a day... and seems to work quietly in the background with no loss of machine speed. It has reported a couple of emails and dealt with them, and also one or two "dodgy" sites... so I am well pleased with the change over from AVG.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes AVG has certainly went downhill these past few years.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You mean it was ever up there in the first place?  Cheesy
Seriously I used to appreciate AVG in the early days as it was free but in honesty it was never much use. The interface didn't give me a lot of confidence either.
I eventually switched to Avast which instantly picked up a lot of stuff that AVG had never found. Apart from the odd few issues with avast which have been a pain, i've stuck with it because its superior to AVG.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
GJenkins
Grafter

AVG has gone downhill in recent years - especially with a few well-reported false postives (identifying and deleting core windows system files). McAfee is okay but still a bit bloated in parts. My personal preference is Avast, mainly because you can schedule a boot-time scan (scans your computer before viruses have the chance to load themselves into memory and hide). Avast gets updated much more regularly as well.
Combine that with MalwareBytes and Superantispyware and you have a good security suite - and all are free!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

McAffee? Eww, no thanks. Been there, suffered that.. Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I use Kaspersky. Not free but not overly expensive. It seems to work well. I guess my main motivation is the antivirus software being written in the land of the hackers. Namely Russia.
I've often wondered how much the Antivirus companies pay the virus writers to produce new malware on a regular basis.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
GJenkins
Grafter

Not sure if im able to name a certain highstreet Bank, but if you have an account with them and have online banking, they will give you kaspersky free of charge Smiley ... if you dont already have a account with them, then its free to fill in a little paperwork and send it off Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Not sure if im able to name a certain highstreet Bank

And why not?
its also worth noting that many universities offer Kaspersky on a "very cheap" license (i think its a fiver per PC, or £10 for a 3box of jonn uhh.. licenses..  Grin Cheesy )
Personally, i know Kaspersky is "good" but i much prefer NOD32, set and forget- turn off the alerts and you've got a very good "in the wild" protected AV, a well updated AV, and one that uses a very small footprint, that doesnt even peep. win Smiley
Regards
GJenkins
Grafter

Well everytime i mention someone or something by name, it gets edited out! All I will say is this particular bank likes football and they have a strange looking bird or griffen/phoenix thingy as their logo Wink
matt_2k34
Grafter

Uh, thats because you cant use agents names in posts.. read the forum rules? and provided you dont use derogatory names for the bank(ers) then there is no issue.
they have a strange looking bird or griffen/phoenix thingy as their logo

Uhh?  Shocked
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Would that be Gringotts Bank?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.