Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonido - comments/opinions?

IanSn
Rising Star

Tonido - comments/opinions?

Have downloaded Tonido to try it out.
Wonder if anyone has experience or thoughts on using it.
My query at the moment is around this, from the FAQ page -
"Most routers do not allow arbitrary access via computer ports from external locations and require port forwarding. Some routers support automatic setup of port forwarding using UPnP protocol, while for other routers user would need to setup manual port forwarding.
Alternately, port forwarding can be completely eliminated by using the Tonido Relay Service.
" (Probably what I'll do)
I've got TG585 v8, btw.
Don't know enough about routers and networks so not sure about where I stand on this. (Which is main reason I'm using Tonido in first place!...  Roll_eyes )
"A Tonido instance is using a browser, all that is required is the Tonido ID or the IP address of computer running the Tonido instance and the HTTP /HTTPS port number".
This is the page I'm referring too-
http://www.tonido.com/communitywiki/doku.php?id=generalinfo:faq
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Tonido - comments/opinions?

Apart from some encryption, I can't see the point of this Tonido.
It just seems to be a way to nullify your router firewall.
It can't hide your source/destination TCP addresses, so people interested in your traffic
can infer information via traffic analysis (what our government is pleased to call meta-data).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

IanSn
Rising Star

Yes.
Point of it for me was that I'm too dumb to figure out how to make computers talk on a network (not for want of trying and reading instructions very carefully, and all that), and I need to shunt tons of data from one to another with least hassle possible. It looked as if this might be a way round it.
It would only be very occasional.
Wasn't sure about the port fowarding (don't even know what that is) on this router.
Not happy about the 'relay' idea.
edit-
Oh yeah, even less happy about storing stuff in the cloud (in case someone suggests it!)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since upnp (mostly) works, I would try that first, then if you need to do the following:
Make your "cloud" pc's ip static - in the routers pages under home network, select the machine and on the next page click "Always use the same ip"
Make the cloud ports static - you will have to see the info on that
Create a new "game" and add those port to it and then add that game to the pc's page.
There is a howto in the library section on how to do this.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you've got loads of files to synchronise, preferably less than about 2-3 GBytes each:-
Investigate the use of
rsync
- it's good for millions of files.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks for advice for these  Smiley
Haven't got round to this yet.
So Tonido would be like adding a 'game'? May go for that.