Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Antivirus or not to Antivirus, that is the question

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

To Antivirus or not to Antivirus, that is the question

I have read several articles recently concerning Windows 10 Defender, which claim that it in reality performs as well as the average anti virus software on the mearket, and that there is no need to install proprietary anti virus siftware.  I have seen performance statistics which seem to bear this out.

I use Avast ! and have done so for many eyars.  But it has become so invasive and is constantly asking me whether I want a topping of double vanilla, walnut coated nutmegs etc. to go with it.  Added to which it takes hours for the laptop to boot up and when I check  the Task Manage, the culprit is alwats Avast ! running some other check in the background.  It is not my system as afr as I can tell because I have run a variety of registry checkers on the machine and they come up with nothing serious but just remove unwanted bits and pieces.

I keep Windows Defender up to date and I run Malwarebytes whenevr I remember.

I am seriously tempted to dump Avast! and not replace it with anything else.  I can hear shouts of shock / horror, but when I think that Plusnet is the first line of defence with its various virus filters, then I have Defender which is supposed to be industry standard and finally Malwarebytes, do I really need to buy a topping of double vanilla, walnut coated nutmegs etc. ?

Please may I just dump the rubbish and rely on what comes boxed with Windows 10 ?

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: To Antivirus or not to Antivirus, that is the question

@shermans wrote:

Please may I just dump the rubbish and rely on what comes boxed with Windows 10 ?

You don't need anyone's permission. Personally I'm not prepared to use an average antivirus package. I want to use one of the packages that come out best in independant tests.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I have no Anti-Virus or Firewall software, the router is my firewall [with windows firewall] as for anti-virus depends on what websites you visit, and what you download. I have windows defender disabled, As it deletes false positives, for example game trainers [yes I like to have fun] I also use Malwarebytes now and again, if I feel there is something wrong with my system. Good luck
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@shermans  Like you, I used to have AVAST, or AVIRA, or some other anti virus... and agree with you about its constant nagging and Registration required...

A couple of years ago, I dumped AVAST, and use the Windows Microsoft Security Essentials .. aka  Windows Defender,  I do visit some weird sites... but so far have not had any virus attacks ....

It updates whenever it needs to, so you never need to be nagged about it...

so... DUMP AVAST... 

Mav
Fixes: 515

I have been using a combination of MSE, Malwarebytes (free) and CCleaner (free) without issue for around 10 years.

I used to use.McAffee until that got too bloated and processsor hungry.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Antivirus software is much like viruses in the real world. For years you'll be ok and then one visit, you'll catch something. I have always considered AV as akin to insurance. I don't ever get bothered by my AV software for add ons, probably because I pay for it. As for just relying on a firewall for AV. A firewall doesn't protect against viruses at all. It just controls who has access, something you give up, to a degree, when you go to a website.

I used to use Avast, binned. Malwarebytes used to be a fav, lately though it became nag nag every time I opened it - Uninstalled. I haven't had any problems with viruses / malware for years. I don't do average though. I'd rather pay that bit extra (£1 a week) for the 3 devices I have.

I have got Windows defender running on the laptop now (Win10 machine) but whether it does a good job, who knows? It doesn't tend to say much. Performance statistic isn't the be all. It's how good a job it does at protection is what counts. I see it gets a 3.5/5 on Toms. I expect any AV software to need as little input from me to keep it updated. My only other thought is that I have found Windows Defender updates waiting to be downloaded / installed and yet I'm using the box while it is waiting for a suitable time to update. Not good. Surely an AV update should be high priority. Update applied whether I'm using the laptop or not.

All you can do is use it and see how you get on with it. And that is usually the tipping point. Some AV I've initially thought, "brilliant", until I start to use it long term, then the niggles start. It usually gets binned early.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@shermans wrote:

Yes, you have my permission.

Seriously, antivirus software changes from one year to the next and what was the best a few years ago may be amongst the worst today.  Therefore brand loyalty will not serve you well here.  Windows Defender is free, works perfectly well, is less likely to go wrong following a Windows Update and doesn't nag you about upgrades or extras.  What's not to like?  

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have now got rid of Avast! on all computers and they seem to be quieter now !  Not so much constantly going on in the background on the hard disk / processor.

I have used CCleaner and Malwarebytes for years and rely on them to do a good job, even though it is a weekly manual process.  A word of caution, though - when updating CCleaner, it is easy to get caught but failing to notice the tick box requesting Avast ! to be installed with it !  I nearly got caught !

Also, I was surprised that no matter how often I ran CCleaner, it still found a couple of tracking files each time, even though I delete cookies from Google after each exit.  Where are these few tracking files coming from ?  I have just found another 60 tracking files since last night !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@shermansstrange you should say, that you find things still left behind... I use CCleaner,   AND  Free internet eraser

https://free-internet-eraser.en.softonic.com/?ex=BB-682.0

First run CCleaner, then run Free internet eraser... you will see it still finds stuff after CCleaner has run... then run CCleaner again.  maybe you find a few kb of bits left still ! ! ! ! ..