cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali is offering free line rental - should I go?

thehatman
Grafter

Tiscali is offering free line rental - should I go?

At the moment I take phone with line rental and broadband all from PN.
The broadband is about £20, the line rental is about £10 and calls are on top of that (with 240 free minutes to 01 and 02 numbers).
My bill is about £40 a month all in all.
Tiscali have just started offering broadband and phone, with line rental and all 01 and 02 numbers free, for £19.99 all in.
I am seriously wondering whether to migrate - it is half the price. I do use some peer2peer, but don't mind doing that less or off-peak if I really have to.
Why should I stay?
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable

Re: Tiscali is offering free line rental - should I go?

It certainly appears to  be a good deal  but it says on the webpage  'subject to local availability'.
Could it be only available to LLU customers?
paulby
Grafter

Looks like it's only available if your on one of their unbundled exchanges. As this page states: "This package is available to 52% of all UK homes. If this product is not available in your area then you will be offered a discounted alternative so you can still enjoy savings on your line rental."
You'd need to check here to see if Tiscali is on your exchange.
(Should we really be discussing Tiscali here? Shouldn't this be in "General Chit-Chat" or "Everything Internet"?)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I've just been having a look at your account and it looks as though you are on the PAYG 15GB special offer, PAYG is our best performing package so it is unlikely you will get a product to match this broadband wise from Tiscali. Also if you do require more call time then you can change to the Anytime + product, this has recently had the FUP removed from it so you can make as many calls as you want per month to 01 and 02 numbers. Don't forget that this also includes the line rental cost and 300 minutes to the top 20 international destinations!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
thehatman
Grafter

I know Tiscali haven't got a very good reputation. But it is still an amazing offer. 
Is there any way in the furture PN might put the phone line rental component in with the 19.99 broadband?
It does make £40 look very expensive now.  Sad
Not applicable

Thanks to paulby for those links. Have discovered that my exchange is Tiscali enabled but I won't be changing over despite being able to save a few quid (I have BB and Homephone Anytime). The only benefit that  would gain other than monetary is extra BB because I have Option 1.
This is for two reasons - mainly because of good CS but also because I have an excellent, stable  connection.
I'd be wary of changing in case of problems - I have always found that Force 9 have been helpful in the past and it is good to know that they're there 24/7 and in this country.
amcclean
Rising Star

I have looked at other providers too and PN honesty and customer service has been the one reason I have stayed. I accept I've been annoyed by e-mail deletions etc but I just out sourced my email and moved my domain to one of the top hosts. I've never looked back. Connection is sound, support is good and now my email is elsewhere all is dandy.
Better the Devil you know. I have friends who have had major problems with tiscalli and sky and it makes me realise that PN are well above them in cs and support.
If you need a reliable connecion then I'd say stay put.
A
pcoventry76
Grafter

I've had Sky - the connection at £5 a month for 40GB cap was okay but the speeds were very slow and i could never sync about 4.5mb - which i accepted as being the top i could ever get
Then along came plusnet - sync of 6.4mb down - i was shocked.
Yes CS is 24/7 and here in Sheffield, there are very few ISP's who offer this - infact 2 i can think of off the top of my head and one is O2 who have seen that 24/7 support is the way to go. the other is ADSL24 who offer support with the MD sat on MSN most of the time
Plusnet is a market leader, a truely unbeatable brand and nice staff to boot 😄
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have read that BT fairly randomly choose to levy approx £200 to anyone wanting to return to BT.
Would a migration back from Tiscali be liable for this kind of treatment?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

It's £125.
This fee applies to BT either putting in a telephone service or for them to reactivate a previously fully unbundled telephone line.  Tiscali use fully unbundled lines, so in this case, it would cost £125 to go back to BT or £105 to go back to PlusNet Home Phone.
puddy
Grafter

No
Tiscali at my old address  kept sending me bills for calls they said they had not billed me for even though I paid all bills on time.  They tried this on for 3 months after I left so I started of county court action against them never got a bill after that.
They have very very poor telphone support line you could not get any 1 person to talk to or they put the phone down on you
so thats a big no
Puddy
pcoventry76
Grafter

I had this with onetel they tried to take me to court over a bill generated from calls i never made, from a phoneline i never had, from a phone number i never knew existed from a house in deepest darkest wales that i never lived at
after a year of threats i told them to take me to court, they did and lost big time.
better the devil you know i say
PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: thehatman

Tiscali have just started offering broadband and phone, with line rental and all 01 and 02 numbers free, for £19.99 all in.

It is getting to the stage of who can go the lowest, be very careful, those going so low in price are usually not putting that much back in 😉
<Was with Tiscali on dial-up, I believe it's no faster these days>
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Tiscali, TalkTalk and Sky all suffer from poor customer service.  Have a look at them on:
www.thinkbroadband.com
Before coming to PlusNet I looked long and hard at all the available ISPs and PlusNet won as far as I was concerned. 
James
Grafter

So, Tiscali offering broadband and telephone for £19.99?
Well, we do it for £19.98 Wink