cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali Woes - Plusnet Staff please advise

mentalist3d
Grafter

Tiscali Woes - Plusnet Staff please advise

Apologies for using bad words and sorry if I have posted in the wrong board. I am looking for some advice from the Plusnet staff. My mother is with Tiscali and last week the telephone line developed a fault which blocked her access to the internet.
A BT engineer fixed the issue, but there was still no internet access and BT advised to phone her ISP. I've been dealing with it because the account is in my name. The error she receives is 721, which I already have had to resolve on her behalf 3 times this year (and several times last year). On phoning I keep getting the same answers, ie reinstall the modem, create a new connection, and it still doesn't work. I insisted that a line technician checks that the fault on the line is resolved and they done some tests.
After they did their tests they phoned back and told me it was BT at fault and that BT should carry out some kind of copper line test. So phoned BT and they said it is not their responsibility, and I shouldn't have to make the call, instead Tiscali should be contacting BT Wholesale and request the test. So phoned back Tiscali and they started getting me to reinstall the modem software, create a new connection, etc. I insisted to speak to an engineer who has my records rather than going round and round wasting each others time. The engineer has phoned back insisting it is BT at fault, and phoning BT, they are insisting Tiscali is at fault.
I am now waiting for a phone call from Tiscali, but I believe I will be fobbed of again, but in the meantime, my mother has had no access to the Internet for 7 days. So I am getting to the end of my tether and I am looking to cancell Tiscali and move her over to Plusnet as I have never had a problem with the service you provide and can see through the forums that you put a lot more effort into customer support. SO I was hoping the staff can answer a couple of questions please:
If I cancel Tiscali what kind of issues will there be in moving to Plusnet, as I have heard Tiscali often put markers on peoples lines to prevent the move? Will plusnet be able to resolve any issue with BT or Tiscali in getting the transfer to go smoothly and with little impact on my mother? What is the average timeframe on making a move from one provider to another in terms of gaining internet access?
Also any feedback and advice on the issues she is currently facing is greatly welcomed, thanks in advance Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Tiscali Woes - Plusnet Staff please advise

Is she still on Tiscali or have they moved her to Talk Talk with a new 12/18 month contract
Is it LLU
mentalist3d
Grafter

I think she is still under the Tiscali contract, but I'll double check.
I couldn't tell you if it is LLU, how would I find that out? I know her package is ASDL Dial-Up Broadband if that helps
Oldjim
Resting Legend

check the exchange on Samknows - is Tiscali LLU available
mentalist3d
Grafter

Thanks for the info, juat checked and Tiscali LLU is unavailable for the area.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case you would need to ask for a MAC but try to ensure that the awkward so and so's don't put a cease on the line
mentalist3d
Grafter

thanks, I  take it is best to get the MAC before ordering? I'm kind of expecting them to be awkward if the past 7 days is anything to go by, but I can be just as awkward  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I know her package is ASDL Dial-Up Broadband if that helps
  ? Dial up Huh  if so you dont have or should not have a contract or need a MAC
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think dial-up broadband is where you use a USB modem and isn't the same as dial-up 56k and still needs a MAC
mentalist3d
Grafter

Sorry for not replying earlier, its a USB modem and checking with Tiscali, I need a MAC. Just got off the phone with them after they have failed to call me back twice today during the times they gave me for a callback. I phoned told them I'm not happy etc. and what are they going to do about it, they answer "we'll phone you tomorrow....", finally forced them into doing something more as I'm fed up waiting on calls that are never returned, so they are sending out an engineer to check the equipment on Thursday at my expense (even though a BT engineer has already been out and resolved the original issue), so I'm going to convince my mother to cancel the engineer and move over to Plusnet.
Talk about a shoddy service  Angry
Not applicable

A friend of mine has recently changed from Tiscali LLU to Plusnet - I connected her computer last Friday. She has also gone onto Homephone Anytime.
From ordering to being 'live' it took approximately two weeks. She had nothing to do at all. The Plusnet sales lady telephoned her at home, took all the details and that was that.
She was without telephone for a few hours due to CPW pulling the plug before the date they gave. Plusnet connected the telephone when they said they would - Thursday a.m., and broadband was live the next day at 7 a.m.
Good luck.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's not LLU.  Wink
Quote from: mentalist3d
Tiscali LLU is unavailable for the area.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there mentalist3d,
Moving to us will take a week to 10 days, longer if the account is setup to pay exclusively by DD.
It's important to ask for a MAC, and not mention the words cancellation or cease (they're inclined to place line ceases if you do that).
If you have any questions or need any help shout up. Smiley