Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird v OE

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thunderbird v OE

Have just changed from OE7 to Thunderbird mail, I transferred all my settings etc. from OE, however under OE when opened it would automatically check the server for incoming mail (switchable on or off) Thunderbird as far as I can see doesn't do this, unless I'm looking in the wrong place in Thunderbird settings? needing to be clicked "get mail" each time.
Incidently, when I logout of PlusNet Community why, doesn't it return me to the browser homepage (also PlusNet) instead of closing the browser (Firefox) altogether and then to my desktop...or is this a setting issue as well?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES 7
lingbob
Grafter

Re: Thunderbird v OE

For your Thunderbird problem, click on "Tools" -> "Account settings" -> "Server settings" and check the box marked "Check for new messages at startup".
Can't help with your Firefox problem, sorry.
Regards .....
petlew
Pro

Thank's for the info...as expected looking in the wrong place as usual.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
Incidently, when I logout of PlusNet Community why, doesn't it return me to the browser homepage (also PlusNet) instead of closing the browser (Firefox) altogether and then to my desktop...or is this a setting issue as well?

When I click the Logout box at the top of the page, it takes me to the Community Forum Home page, but not logged in. I can't think why clicking the logout button should close Firefox
Firefox 2.0.0.6
petlew
Pro

Ooop's quite right Simon M, what I perhaps should have asked is why, when I CLOSE Community it doesn't return me to the PlusNet homepage (browser) which is where I came into Community in the first place, it surely is a sub-section of +Net is it not. Closing other offerings on the +Net homepage doesn't close the browser altogether. It doesn't seem possible (as far as I can see) to access other sections of PlusNet from Community, I realise it is necessary to login to Community, but you need to login to Webmail as well, but that doesn't close the browser when it's closed (or mine doesn't anyway)

Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
it surely is a sub-section of +Net is it not.

Well, no, not in the same way as other pages you link to within the portal are. That was one of the reasons for setting up the Community site the way it is - think of it as a separate site from the Plusnet portal.
That said, when you close a tab in Firefox, it should return you to the tab you linked from. Have a look at Tools | Options | Tabs. I have mine set to open new pages in a new tab rather than a new window. I also don't have it set to go to the new tab immediately, but that's just the way it suits me.
Incidentally, there is no need to go to the portal first - bookmark the Community home page.
Will
Grafter

That is due to the way the page is setup.
It is setup to return you to the community page.
However, why not just add PN to your faves and get back from there?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Or click the Plusnet logo
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)