Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird update

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Thunderbird update

This is one for @spraxyt probably, but any contributions welcome.

I am currently using a very old (2.0.0.24) version, because to be honest, I don't like the interface of the newer versions. If I upgrade to the current stable version, will it seamlessly recreate my  current folder folders, address books &c?

I am asking this question because I am getting security warnings when opening the program (first one was this morning), and Plusnet marketing emails are totally locking up the application with a warning that a security protocol is not supported.

John
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Thunderbird update

Fix
I've never had any issues updating TB, but I haven't done a major update like that.
Do an export of everything to a new folder, or just copy the mail folder, before you update.
jab1
Legend

That was one of my thoughts, HB and will be done as a back-up. Thanks

John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I could only echo the comments and advice provided by @HairyMcbiker on this. However I often find having decent backups proves a good way to ensure nothing goes wrong. Funny

David
jab1
Legend

@spraxyt @HairyMcbiker

Just FYI - I installed 52.3.0 over 38.n.n without any problems on an old XP machine I still have (normally disconnected from the web, but retained as an emergency backup, and for a couple of games not compatible with X64)

However, before I do anything with it on my current machine, I am going to do a full back-up AND create a restore point - yup, maybe overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

TBird 38 is relatively modern whereas version 2 is ancient and its software technology has changed along the way. It coped with that change at the time and I hope it still can.

Fingers crossed. Thumbs_Up

David
jab1
Legend

Glad to report that it all seems to have gone smoothly. Only things I have had to do have been to re-enter account passwords and re-jig the view, but SEEMS to be OK.

Still don't particularly like the display, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

John