Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird mail issue.

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thunderbird mail issue.

One of the very few things I prefer about MS OE/Windows mail is its ability to batch send. Which unless I've missed a setting somewhere Thunderbird won't do.
Let me explain that; If I forward a mail and attachment on to another recipient, Thunderbird will only do them one at a time, it will of course send c.c's normally, but if several different mails are to be sent to different recipients, all having bulky attachments, it can take a very long time with Thunderbird as they have to be done one at a time, unlike the MS with which its possible to queue them up to send in sequence, while you get on with something else.
Does anybody know of a plugin/fix/setting to overcome this deficiency in Thunderbird?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES 5
samuria
Grafter

Re: Thunderbird mail issue.

I may not understand what you are saying but if you put  lots of email address in the To field in thunderbird  then it sends it all in one go. I have done it loads of times which is why if I wonder if I dont understand your problem
petlew
Pro

@ samuria, thank you, yes, I did mention that in my OP thats fine and works as you would expect it to. Its if you want to send different mails to different recipients, OE/Windows Mail lets you send them in a queue separately each send having its own progress window. With Thunderbird you have to wait while each send is sent separately, there is for instance no "minimize" button on the progress window, nor does that window have a taskbar entry, so their is no possibility to right click and minimize, so you can get on with something else (or prepare another different mail to send) while a send is progressing. What this means is that while Thunderbird is uploading and sending a single mail and attachment, the PC can't be used for anything else.
Sorry its not easy to describe, if you're not a Thunderbird user.
Scenario:
A friend sends me (say) 6 mails with attachments, I want to forward them on to a like minded (different) friend.
In OE/Windows Mail, I just simply bring up the mail to forward, address it and send it, each then has a separate progress window (pop-up or in the sys tray) each forwarded mail continues separately but concurrently until all are complete, and the queue (or row in the sys tray) of progress pop-ups disappears. This is a "background" process, the PC can continue to be used for other things.
In Thunderbird, each separate forward must be brought up, addressed and sent individually, this effectively locks the PC while in progress, the user must remain in attendance for each separate send, which can take some time to complete with bulky attachments.
I suppose the obvious answer would be to give the address of my 2nd friend to the 1st friend, and let him deal with it, but I don't want to do that. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pnf
Grafter

At the bottom left hand corner of the Thunderbird Window is an icon that looks like a glowing light bulb.  If you hover over that icon with the mouse pointer it will state that ‘You are currently online’.  If you click on that icon, it will change to a light bulb with a strike-out through it, and if you then hover over that it will state that ‘You are currently offline’.
Once you are in offline mode, you will notice that the ‘Compose Window’ has a ‘Send Later’ button – this will enable you to queue up your emails and send them after you have prepared them all, as follows:
1. In ‘offline’ mode for each message composed, clicking on ‘Send Later’ will cause it to be queued in the ‘Unsent’ folder, which can be found under ‘Local Folders’.
2. After you have prepared all of your messages, click on the light bulb icon so that you are now ‘online’ again.
3. In ‘online’ mode, right click on the ‘Unsent’ folder, and in the pop-up window that appears click on ‘Send Unsent Messages’.  Your messages will now be sent.
I hope this helps.
samuria
Grafter

There are 2 addons  I use minimize to tray and minimize to tray enhancer these may be what you want
petlew
Pro

Gentlemen, I'm much obliged to you both. Problem solved.