Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird Mail problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thunderbird Mail problem

Most of this problem is of my own making.... cos I was doing it when I was tired ! ! ....
OK... got a new download on my new Win 7 Pro 64bit laptop.... and I wanted to import the old address book....and some "saved" emails from the old machine....
Well, I managed to do the address book bit.... but.. and here is where I made a mistake... I found the "mail" folder to transfer... and loaded it on to a usb stick... ... then I thought I would find the NEW Thunderbird install files, and replace the folder with the old one... thus bringing across the old emails... ( have done it this way before , and it worked.).. unfortunately,... this time.. for some unknown reason. I clicked on one of the emails in the folder I had transferred to read it.. but it would not open.. so I went throught the "open with" procedure...tried a couple of things... even tried "thunderbird"... but all that did was to add the .msf file to the attachment part of a new message...  I must have clicked on Adobe Acrobat Reader without knowing it.. mouse cursor left in wrong place, probably,,... now all the emails are set to open with Adobe Acrobat Reader by default... and  I can`t find a way of reversing that....

I do have a second copy,... which is on another usb stick... but when I view them...they are also set to open with Adobe Acrobat reader...  Cry
Now... I thought... OK... uninstall Thunderbird.... go to Computer, and find anything that has Thunderbird and erase it.... ( some sneaky places to look, .... )  I thought I had found them all, so I ran CCleaner.... then did a REG CLEAN with CCleaner... then another Reg clean with Eusing Free Reg cleaner... .... thought that would clear any leftover stuff... BUT.. when I re-installed Thunderbird from a fresh download... the address book was still there....

So it seems that despite my efforts,... ( and I have just uninstalled the new one ) (can`t see any trace of Thunderbird)... there is some sneaky basket just lurking and waiting for me to re--install it...
so.... Two Questions....
1.... How do I get the MAIL messages back on to a new install of Thunderbird....
2... How do I prevent them being default "open with" adobe acrobat.... ....
(I am presuming that the "default" instruction for the files to be opened with adobe is somewhere else, rather than on the emails... in the same way as any file with  .jpg will open ( by default ) with mypicture viewer " Irfanview )... no matter where they are stored... so I would need to find that location/instruction....
6 REPLIES 6
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Thunderbird Mail problem

Perhaps you could uninstall adobe for the moment then see what it wants to do when it realises there is no adobe to open them with?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hah!... that sounds like a good idea.... Will give it a go...
thanks
Wink

Hah!... that has returned them to original situation.... so will keep Acrobat off the system.... don`t use it much...but will use FOXIT reader instead... 
Thanks Steve....  Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Get some rest first this time  Grin
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeeehah! !  Cheesy Cheesy  I have fixed it....  managed to copy across the MAIL folder to the right profile... there were two listed... and I had put it in the wrong one, first time round.... ! ! doh.... so had a cuppa tea and a ginger biscuit... and all is now well with the world....

Thanks to Steve for his "brilliant" suggestion of removing Adobe Acrobat....  Roll_eyes
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Are you not going to reinstall adobe then? FOXIT is what I use, does the same job Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

I`ve used FOXIT before.. and it works... I have it installed now.... Adobe can go on the back burner... !..
Cheers Wink