Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird Mail Import problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thunderbird Mail Import problem

Having done a full re-install of my Windows Vista.. I now need to regurgitate some (if not all)  emails from the old hdd...
Both hdd`s running thunderbird... BUT
when I try to "import"     ""mail"".. it does not give the original hdd as a location type choice..it gives Eudora, Outlook & Outlook Express.
so, guys.... how do I import, either, the whole lot,... or prefeably,.... selected emails... from my old HDD into the new one?
(The old HDD is in a caddy,...but I can`t seem to find the Thunderbird emails )... poss not looking in the right place  ? ? ? ! ! !
Thanks... Wink
3 REPLIES 3
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Thunderbird Mail Imprt problem

continue panicking... haven`t found them.....  Cry
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Thunderbird Mail Imprt problem

Quote from: shutter
haven`t found them..... 

You can most likely do what you're trying to do ... just trying to figure out how I did it (but I'm using Windows7 though) ...
Right, first step for me in locating my mail folders etc. was to navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default where xxxxxxxx.default is the name of my personal profile and the 'xxxxxxxx' is actually a 8 random character string generated by Thunderbird when setting the program up.
Can you find a similar folder on your old Vista drive?
If so, I believe you just need to copy that folder with all its contents to the corresponding location on the new install, then open Thunderbird from a command prompt using the switch '-p' (i.e. thunderbird.exe -p) - see Thunderbird support.
Let's hope that gets you moving in the right direction ...  Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Thunderbird Mail Import problem

Well,  having messed up with your instructions, and the one`s on the linky... and re-installing Thunderbird a couple of times...
I found a real easy way....
Following the route......... /Users/Gerry/App Data/Roaming/Thunderbird 
having the "new" version on half the screen.... with the same location of the "old" version on the other half screen...
clicked on "new" underbird folder, to display it`s contents.... then.... ( using Eraser 5.6 ) with 3 passes set in the "settings").... I erased the contents  (including the Profiles folder )..
I then went to the "old" Thunderbird folder and just copied it across....... then I just double clicked on the Thunderbird icon... and YAY !>. all my old emails are displayed..  Including all my special folders..    MAGIC !...  Cheesy

Don`t understand why Thundebird info pages took such a long winded route  !...