Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three... no longer giving out public IP addresses

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Three... no longer giving out public IP addresses

@Anonymous wrote:

I was aware of that SIM card, which was why I was doubtful about 'Three' offering IPv6, my reasoning being that if 'A&A' can't offer it yet, then it is unlikely anyone else can.

A&A can only realistically offer what the underlying infrastructure supports. In this case Three is an underlying infrastructure and with IPv6 being well suited to address (no pun intended!) mobile operators' issues they are likely candidates to be moving in that direction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's hope so !  Cool_smiley

You and I have been ready for going fully IPv6 for years !  Thumbs_Up

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Anonymous wrote:

o agree that product might suit  @7up's requirements, assuming his traffic usage was quite low - as the £/MB is quite high, compared to typical mass-market consumer mobile data plans.

I have looked at the A&A site and ruled them out simply because they do indeed have quite a high tariff and subscription cost. 

I'm looking to run a pi, camera, gps and wifi from the remote device .. if i can ever find the bloomin money to do it. That said.. using the internet to communicate with it would substantially decrease my outlay and thanks to 3 that may still be possible.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@7up wrote:

.. using the internet to communicate with it would substantially decrease my outlay

Have you investigated fixed-wireless broadband in your area ?

• My nearest fixed-wireless ISP is far cheaper than mobile 3G for high data usage

• There are no phone line rental costs, so cheaper than ADSL internet.

• Faster upload speeds than ADSL internet, typically 15Mbps(up), good for sending a video stream.
  • The wireless modem simply connects to your home router by PPPoE (just like an FTTC modem)

Wink

7up
Community Veteran

To be honest, I'd rather have the convenience of national coverage - for a good reason.

At the moment i'd like to build a land based rover / explorer for fun but whereas RC has a limited range, 3 and 4G doesn't. Apparently all 4G / LTE devices get an internal IP anyway but for whatever reason three don't enforce it on 3G broadband - i can only assume the older sims are different somehow.

This does of course leave me with a slight glitch that i only have one public ip on 3G whereas i could do with 2 so that i have a backup... but life is not perfect so i'll have to look into the vpn thing and see if i can get any joy there.

I'd also like to build a drone that has wireless internet connectivity but thats another expense for another decade...

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@7up

what your asking for wont work currently because the vpn would collapse every time your handset jumps from one tower to another, once ipv6 is fully implemented and your device has a static address then it will be possible but until then it wont /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MJN
Pro

If the VPN originates on the handset then it could deal with the IP address changing from the handover. Success of course depends on how tolerant the usage is to delays in reestablishing the connection.

7up
Community Veteran

@nanotm wrote:

@7up

what your asking for wont work currently because the vpn would collapse every time your handset jumps from one tower to another, once ipv6 is fully implemented and your device has a static address then it will be possible but until then it wont /

So you're saying the vpn can't be reconnected?

MJN
Pro

Looking into this a bit further there appears to be various ways to achieve some form of reverse tunnel i.e. using your mobile device to establish a tunnel and handle non-persistant connections - a good example is MOSH. However, whilst it supports (and runs over) SSH it doesn't appear to (yet) support port forwarding and so you might be limited in what you can achieve with it given that you'll be sat at what is effectively the server end!

However, AUTOSSH might be suitable as this can be run on the mobile device and automatically accommodate changes in the IP address of that device (by reestablishing the connection if it breaks, which it would given that SSH runs over TCP). Most importantly, however, is that it appears to support reverse port tunneling using SSH's '-R' flag and to you should be able to forward any port you like over that tunnel from your end.

nanotm
Pro

@7up wrote:

@nanotm wrote:

@7up

So you're saying the vpn can't be reconnected?

i'm saying that the internet connection gets completely dropped as you move from tower to tower, take a trip on a cross country train and stream a movie on your mobile without using the onboard wifi, your movie will stutter from time to time as the handset auto drops and starts each connection, it less noticeable on newer handsets than older ones due to the memory size and auto buffering to a larger degree but its still there.

what your talking about is having the phone effectively run a dumb connection loop program every time it requires a tower, but your going to need some kind of programming linked to terrain mapping so it will perform a pre established movement pattern until it gets an update from a new server connection providing its able to remake the vpn, that's one of the major reasons why drones /rc are so limited in capability, no point making a battery that can fly for more than 5 minutes if the controller will be out of range in 30 seconds and it will just crash ....

7up
Community Veteran

Oh boy..

@nanotm wrote:

what your talking about is having the phone effectively run a dumb connection loop program every time it requires a tower, but your going to need some kind of programming linked to terrain mapping so it will perform a pre established movement pattern until it gets an update from a new server connection providing its able to remake the vpn, that's one of the major reasons why drones /rc are so limited in capability, no point making a battery that can fly for more than 5 minutes if the controller will be out of range in 30 seconds and it will just crash ....

1) It's mobile broadband via a dongle - not a phone! Keep up old chap! The intention is to use the dongle with a micro tp-link mr3020 3/4G router (hence the need for a public IP).

2) rc drones or normal rc aircraft are not limited because of the RC range. Go to youtube and type in FPV and you'll see plenty of people flying several miles (there's a video of one person flying 80km... but it's over 3 hours long).

3) It may be a small aircraft but autopilots do exist in varying forms to stop crashes when the signal is lost. Some just level out the aircraft, others will fly to a predetermined GPS point, others will just put the aircraft into a circle pattern. I have a basic level flight AP sat in a box under the desk as I type this.

With your RC expertise just having been shot down, I am skeptical about the rest of your thoughts... but then thats nothing new for most folk around here!!! You're a decent enough person nano.. but you do need to refrain from posting sometimes lol.

I can't comment on the internet droppage when switching between masts.. I don't know enough about it! I would have thought though that in this day and age they'd have worked out that glitch.

nanotm
Pro

@7up

1) if your not using a phone your power requirements are going to be a problem on something that can move either your planning on having something the size of a normal car with its own battery bank /generator bank or your talking about something  a lot smaller that runs off an internal battery, but the requirement for something that moves kinda makes the choices on that one .....

2 & 3 are talking specifically about high end drones, if your going to be spending thousands of pounds of some high end long range drone your not going to need a phone linked controller for it, your going to need a satellite comms unit to bounce the signal back down (unless 3 actually boost the range of there transmitters to cover all those  dead zones your likely to be transiting through)

if your drone tangent is just some possible future idea then ignore it, you wont be able to achieve it without a pilots licence and a gigantic pile of cash, if your idea is to build your own on the cheap then using a mobile phone as the guidance unit and control via mobile data/gprs connections then its the only way to keep the device small but still achieve a range of a few miles without needing several tonnes of lift for the power source /

7up
Community Veteran

OMG nano, seriously.. do you honestly know when to quit? lol

1) The raspberry pi draws 700mA. There are many 10400mAh charger / phone booster packs out there. Even a 5200mAh would do the job of powering a Pi, arduino and a couple of other bits for 2 hours. Most RC helicopters (electric or nitro) can carry more weight than that with ease - and I'm talking about helicopters not quad copters.

2) Satellie? Honestly nano, go and hit youtube! While I'll admit that some of the radio gear they use is out of my financial reach, a mobile broadband connection isn't. With that said, i have thought about dead zones.. but given that the rules of these drones is very strict i'm not going to be travelling across counties etc. I just want to build one as a hobby to satisfy myself. That in itself does not need a pilots licence (unless for commercial use) especially when the flight path is within visible range! And no... RC / drone autopilots are not specifically for high end stuff.

Tonnes of lift?... nano have you ever had any experience with RC?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

nanotm
Pro

you should check out the requirements for flying them before saying I'm wrong, the rules for non licenced devices are quite strict as regards flight capability....

as to lift, tons of lift isn't out of the way even for a small device if you want to make it move faster than a snail its going to need it

7up
Community Veteran

I am well aware of the rules nanotm and yes they've become stricter. The amount of power you appear to think is needed is absurd though.

I have an OS25LA sat here which will carry a 46" wingspan using a 9x6 prop and still be easily capable of carrying a raspberry pi, arduino mega, tplink mr3020 and battery pack. Thats along with 4 servos and a RX battery. The 25 is considered a small engine.

According to you i need a live satellite link, my own space program (obviously to go with the former), several million pounds and a pilots licence.. just to fly a helicopter at the local BMFA approved flying site. What next? ICBM, spy satellite, my own radar control tower?

You're over estimating this nanotm. I want a helicopter that will have an onboard computer, camera, wifi AP (for allowing a ground based unit to share the internet) and an autopilot. I never said anything about it flying out of sight. Yes I pointed you to youtube to see what is capable but i never said that is what i was intending, merely demonstrating that some of what you are saying (it being impossible) is tripe. Search youtube for "FPV 4G" and you'll see that many folks are doing the long distance thing on mobile internet - which is not something i'm aiming for (though i'll admit i do find it interesting).

Now perhaps you should go back to encyclopedia nanotica and do some more reading...Wink

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules