cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router (not secure)

portrait
Dabbler

Thomson router (not secure)

I have both desktop and a laptop computers which I have had to insert the WPA PSK  key to enter.
If I look at  "Search for available wireless networks"  It shows PlusnetWireless as security enabled. (WPA2) hower,  it also shows my Thomson router as unsecure.
Why is this and how do I secure it if that is neccesary.
Percy.
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Thomson router (not secure)

Are you able to attach a screengrab of what it is you're lookign at? Assuming you have Wi-Fi security enabled in the router interface (which I believe it is by default) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. You might want to consider hiding the SSID though (that way, secured or otherwise, people won't see the router in the list of available networks).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you sure that it is your Thompson, it could be a neighbour, douse it show the SSID to confirm?
Bob beat me to it
portrait
Dabbler

I couldn't insert an image Bob  but yes, it is my Thomson Router that is showing together with its ID. And full signal strength. saying "Unsecured"
I tried hiding the SSID but it still shows the same,  "Unsecured".
paulh
Rising Star

A point to debate (I'm just tossing this in, I'm not agreeing either way):
[quote="Bob Pullen"]You might want to consider hiding the SSID though (that way, secured or otherwise, people won't see the router in the list of available networks).
vs.
[quote="Someone else (whose first language is probably not English)"]Broadcasting the SSID:
When not broadcasting the SSID the router is broadcasting the id beam anyway, just without the SSID name. So people will know that you have a wireless network.
But... all the devices that have been configured to connect to the router will broadcast the SSID. as if they were shouting "are you my router?"
This opens a big vector of attack as someone may intercept that request, identify the network you want to connect to and spoof it so now you are connected to the rouge network.
So, even as it is counterintuitive always set your router to broadcast the SSID. This way the security is handled by the encryption mechanism and not by false security by obscurity.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'd never suggest hiding the SSID as an alternative to using encryption however if the router is unsecure it shold deter most average users from connecting to it whilst the cause of the problem is identified.
Have you tried changing the SSID name? That should help eliminate the possibility of there being more than one Thomson unit broadcasting its SSID.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

If you are using Vista its not a good idea to hide the SSID - seems to screw up wireless connection - I'm sure its been disciussed on these forums before.
portrait
Dabbler

Thank you all for your help.  At the moment Today, Monday 10th, the Thomson Router isn't visible, just the PlusnetWireless which is secure.