Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router (585v7) and DNS

fishter
Grafter

Thomson router (585v7) and DNS

Hi,
I used to have a netgear router (4 port and wireless router - no modem).  With this I could set up the DHCP service to hand out the IP address of my local server as the DNS server.  I run linux and use a caching DNS server to save lookup times and to manage my local network.  I use my mobile phone and laptop inside and outside my local network and the mail server has a different IP address internally than it does externally (192.168.x.x instead of my PN IP addy), so the local DNS server makes things transparent to the user as to which IP address they're connecting to.
With the new Thomson router there is no option to allow me to change the DNS server IPs that the DHCP service hands out.  In other words I can't tell my network devices to consult the local DNS server.  This leads to a couple of issues.
1. My mobile phone/laptop collect mail from mail.fishter.org.uk and DNS directs them to 80.229.2.22 although the machine itself is on 192.168.1.69.  I then have to make sure that the correct ports are forwarded through the modem - even though both devices are on the local net.
2. The above doesn't work!  If I change the name of the mail server (in the mail client) to myth.fishter.org.uk then it works - This is weird as mail. and myth. point to the same place (they are CNAME records pointing to fishter.plus.com)
So firstly, does anyone have any ideas about number 2?  Secondly, can anyone tell me if it's possible to setup the Thomson router to dish out the IP address of my local DNS server?
5 REPLIES 5
paulby
Grafter

Re: Thomson router (585v7) and DNS

You can tell it to hand out DNS server addresses.  However, it still seems to hand out its own address as primary DNS server in addition to any you specify (which are added as secondary and tertiary).
You need to go to Home > Home Network > Interfaces > LocalNetwork and hit "Configure".  You then need to add a new DHCP pool. (See screenshot).
Perhaps disabling automatic web browsing interception will stop the router handing out its own IP as the primary DNS server (see second screen shot) - I can't test this as I'm logging in remotely to the router to get the screen grabs and can't do an ipconfig on the remote PC as it's off at the moment!
fishter
Grafter

I'd not managed to stumble across the DHCP pool settings.  Thanks.
Now, how do I persuade it to hand out these addresses instead of the pre-configured ones?  I've restarted it, but it still hands out the 192.168.1.x addresses.  Guess this needs a bit more work.
Thanks for your help so far.
prichardson
Grafter

Ok, lets add a very large warning here.
THIS IS NOT FOR THE FEINT OF HEART AND COULD LEAVE YOU WITH A COFFEE WARMER
The following link is to the CLI guide for the Thomson TG585v7 router.
Lets just say this device is very powerful and allows you very detailed control over the settings. The problem is, it offers so much power, things could go a little wrong.
http://www.speedtouch.nl/docs/TG585-v7_CLI_guide_R74.pdf
paulby
Grafter

TO get it to stop handing out it's own ip as primary DNS you need to use the CLI command:
dns server config state disable
If you want it to hand out local IP addresses in a range other than 192.168.1.x you need to go to the page in the screenshot below and add the appropriate range.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why does it make life so hard?
You can't even (easily) reserve a range of static addresses that won't be used by DHCP on wireless.
This seems a poor router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."