cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson gateway

wingcoman

Thomson gateway

Have only just joined Plusnet within the last week so this is my first post. When i was with Tiscali i always turned my router off when i shut down my computer but it has been suggested that i leave the Thomson on at all times, if this is so what is the power consumption of the router when my desktop is off, I connect via the ethernet cable by the way.
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Thomson gateway

We get asked this fairly frequently, but I can't find the last thread !.
This subject causes a little disagreement sometimes  Smiley
My view is that if you have a good line ( reasonably close to exchange and good wiring) - and / or have a good signal & reasonably high speed, then there's no need at all to leave a router on overnight or when router is not used. As long as you don't turn on and off too frequently - it will be ok.
If you did it with your last ISP and it was ok - then it should continue to be ok.
If on the other hand you have a poor line, low speed then there is an argument to keep it on.
wingcoman

Thanks for the reply, could not find anything about power consumed with the router alone that was one of my concerns,
Cheers
mal0z
Grafter

Well it says an input rating of 545mA - so that's about 120 Watts - but I suspect its a fair bit less than than - so say 90W
same as the average light bulb. So if left on 24/7/365 then a fair amount.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no its 545 ma at 22 volt  12 watt
mal0z
Grafter

Apologies - you're quite right Pierre - I must check my eyesight - I rather thought that was high - but is does get warm.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

why should you complain, just been digging down one of box of Phone bits, you know one power for the LC, one for Nokia, one for Sagem. and found a Blue tooth ear piece, charged it up last night on another power bit, dont really want to use it but thought would give it a try, cant remember how to turn it on,  The model number was that small, had to use a magnifier seems to be a Nolan NHSTH4C2, cant find any instruction on Google
mal0z
Grafter

Hopefully one day - router manufacturers, music playing devices etc etc will sign up to the same standard spec for power unit and connector as the mobile phone manufacturers.
bumbershoot
Grafter

Hi,also new to broadband and had wondered about energy consumption.Plugged in my monitor and current consumption is 6.7 watts.Approx £8.50 per year for a thomson wireless router.Hope this helps