Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG589vn v3

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Thomson TG589vn v3

Moving across from Sky next month and don't want to have to rely on the Openreach fibre modem and am looking for a cost effective, integrated solution. I don't need an all singing and dancing  piece of equipment and was looking at the Thomson TG589vn v3. All I want to be able to do with it really is port forward for a webcam, Gigabit connections aren't an issue.
I saw somewhere that there was a +Net trial of these routers last year, so input from anyone that has used one would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Thomson TG589vn v3

I used on of these around a year ago when I live in a place with fibre, it did the job really well and was actually good to see the line stats. The setup was simple and I rarely had any line disconnections.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I used for for a year or so, until it became unstable (I was getting daily reboots). A good cheap router.
You could also look at a HH5 which has gigabit on all local lan ports.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Chris. I see they come with a 2 year warranty, so should be able to send it back if it becomes unstable, very strange though!!
I'm looking at HH5 Hairy, but they have a problem with port forwarding and as I want to stream my webcam, i'm not sure if it is the way to go.
Mark
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I didn't have any issues with port forwarding, I have it set to do a couple of things fine. But I don't use upnp I manually forward the ports.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

They seem to be going for a good price on eBay, so if it comes up at the right one  Cheesy
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Re- visiting this thread. As it is a Thomson router, would the interface be similar to the PN supplied router? (i.e. easy to use). I tried buying a couple of HH5's, but they never arrived, so given up and going back to buying from a "proper" seller.
Mark
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The web pages are virtually identical.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Excellent. Think I will indulge after Chrimbo Smiley
Thanks.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

So, it arrived today  Smiley Got quite a good price on it, £53.93 delivered!

What's in the box I hear you say? Router, power supply, filter, LAN cable, phone cable, network id card, but there is a distinct lack of a user manual!! Even searching online comes up with a blank, only being able to find the V2 version. I am now going to connect it to my chromebook to set it up as I don't want to mess about with my connection too much.
With regard taking out the OR modem, how do I disconnect that manually so it doesn't suspect a fault? I can disconnect the router with no issue, but never tried the mode.
Mark
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Once you've disconnected via the router, you should be safe to unplug the cables from the modem. The v2 and v3 of that router are pretty similar, IIRC the v3 is more straightforward for setting up initially.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

So we're all running again. A bit of a panic setting up as it wouldn't connect and I had to run the setup a couple of times. So my connection stats now are:

And the resulting speed test, Doesn't look like I have been penalised too much  Smiley

Just going through the set up of my connected devices now and getting my webcam streaming again.
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

A little annoyed now. I come back to find that the rock steady connection provided by the OR modem and the previous PN router is potentially going to be unstable with this router. It had been connected for about 3 hours, I come back and see this in the router logs:
KERNEL Warm restart

I have had a Google and can see this was a problem with this router as far back as 2009, with firmwate 7 something. This is now firmware 10.5.2.F.BN and the issue is still with it  Angry Not a happy bunny as all the answers I have seen relate to either turning of upnp or the wireless. Let's hope it was a one off and not repeated again, or it's back to the supplier....
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I am thinking this router is not supposed to be a retail unit and that Technicolor do not support end users. Everything on the Technicolor site says to return to the ISP that provided the equipment, BUT I PURCHASED FROM A RETAIL OUTLET  Undecided
Struggling with this tbh. Not had a warm kernel restart that I can see, but that will be because I am being subjected to a brute force attack by Chinese/ Hong Kong ip addresses. I have had to jump on someone elses thread from March this year to try and resolve the issue. Overall so far, not very impressed with this unit  Angry
Mark