cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585v7

Snarf
Grafter

Thomson TG585v7

So are these any good? I currently have a Netgear DG834Gv3 which has been working well. However today I had a period of 40 mins when the line couldn't connect, CS couldn't see anything wrong but the guy suggested that the Netgear wasn't on PN's list of "officially supported" ADSL2 routers and that I could have the Thomson sent to me (with the usual keep it for a year and it's free).
Just want to check what the opinions on that advice are and how good the Thomson is compared to the Netgear?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Thomson TG585v7

I don't know about the V3 but the V4 is far better than the Thompson
Snarf
Grafter

Oh - well I hope I wasn't given some bum advice then! Still I guess it's free so even if it's worse it can just sit as a backup if necessary!
gadfly
Grafter

The Thomson wirless router you named is supplied with a Plusnet connection. It has 4 Ethernet ports and the usual connection lights.
It worked right out of the box for me and is as good as any router I have had.
The router is not responsible for the line you have. The one I have, according to BT, supplies a maximum bandwidth of 6mbps and http://www.speedtest.net/ clocks my connection constantly at just over 5mbps.
Snarf
Grafter

Quote from: gadfly
The router is not responsible for the line you have. The one I have, according to BT, supplies a maximum bandwidth of 6mbps and http://www.speedtest.net/ clocks my connection constantly at just over 5mbps.

I'm not sure what you're really getting at here. Sure the noise on the line is down to interference from the house and other external influences as well as the distance from the exchange, however some routers are capable of maintaining a connection at lower SNR values than others. The Thomson router is an ADSL2+ capable router and as such is capable of supply speed to the maximum of ADSL2+ (24MBps I think?).
Anyway the first one I was sent was pants (wouldn't allow me to change any settings without crashing), however the second is much better.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Im glad you got sorted out snarf eventually Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.