cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585v7 crashes (web interface & wireless)

wrightsonm

Thomson TG585v7 crashes (web interface & wireless)

I have an interesting problem that I cannot find any information about.
I am using the TG585v7 merely as a 4 port switch & as a wireless access point.  My internet connection is through a SOLWISE SAR-110.
i have recently discovered that the router will fail to allow new connections to the wireless & at the same time, the internal web interface /server also crashes.
The solution is to restart the device, but when this happens every day it is getting rather irritating.
Interestingly, the ethernet switch side isn't affected when the rest of the router crashes.
If anyone could shed some light on this problem, it would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Mark
14 REPLIES 14
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Thomson TG585v7 crashes (web interface & wireless)

It's a known problem with the device and relates to using the wireless. There is currently no solution to this other than disabling wireless.
PN are aware (as are thompson) but no new firmware version has been released to fix it yet (and I'm not sure if there will be as it's been known for a long time and the product has been replaced with 585v8 model).
wrightsonm

Ah right ok, that is irritating. - its main use is as a wireless AP.  Would Plusnet be able to send out a replacement? I would be happy to return the current box?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It's a S/W problem. Any replacement will have the same firmware and thus the same problem.
wrightsonm

Sorry, when i mention the possibility of replacement, i didn't mean another tg585v7 box.  I meant replacing the TG585v7 with the v8
Or have they not fixed the problem in the 585v8 release?
Cheers
Mark Wrightson
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I've not seen any info on what has or has not been fixed in the v8 firmware which PN are currently testing with. They have still got a lot of stock of the v7 and I don't believe the v8 has been approved by PN for general use yet.
mPH
Grafter

I have just got this router, having similar problems.  Nothing will connect to it, its visible as a network then when I try to connect it fails.  When checking the router itself the broadband light goes out and starts flashing...  Assuming that is has reset.  Will have to go back to the D-Link until a solution is found.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

They shouldnt really be sending out Wireless equipment with known issues that result in the Wireless function needing to be turned off, it might be free and optional but it's still part of the sales pitch  Shocked bit naughty really
bumbershoot
Grafter

I was looking through the forum tonight with what may be the same problem.50% of the time when I switch my computer on I have an excellent signal but no access.To solve the problem I switch the router off and on again.Its a pain!.I have a v7 router sent to me a week ago.I was hoping its because I am a new customer on the 10 day testing period.Is this going to continue?.If so why are plusnet sending these routers to customers and can I get a (working) replacement.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you are on the 10 day training, you should leave your router switched on so that BT can get the necessary data on your line.  It is best to do the switch on between about 9 am anf 3 pm
bumbershoot
Grafter

I have been leaving the router switched on.I switch it off and on again to make it work.The question is,If this router has a known fault why are they still being sent out and can I get a working replacement?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

There is no known fault similar to the one you're describing bumbershoot. If it's the wireless connection you're having problems with then the first thing I'd suggest is that you try using a different wireless channel. TBH, I wasn't personally aware of any problems using the 585v7 as a wireless access point either.
FWIW, there's a new version of the Thomson firmware available that I uploaded here yesterday.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bumbershoot
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.I think I am using version 8 based on "admin" and serial no password.Software release is 8.2.23.0.I have changed my wireless channel to channel 2.If I have more problems I will move up the list and try them all .Thanks again
bumbershoot
Grafter

Argh! .After spending hours trying to connect a laptop to my wireless signal I finally succeded by pressing the button on the front of the router.It flashed orange ,then red.I sussed this out myself eventually as their is no information supplied with the router or on the plusnet site!.During the connection I was asked for my wireless key.I had changed my wireless key and entered the new key (which worked fine on my main computer)This was rejected.I entered the original key this was accepted.As the original key has been accepted I now need to check I am still using wireless channel 2.I am not sure if the button on the front has set the router back to factory settings.Even though I set the channel days ago I cannot find how to get back their.Please tell me how to check my wireless channel.
bumbershoot
Grafter

Right,me again.Found where I needed to be.Wireless key/WAP key had reverted to original but wireless channel had remained on my setting,channel two.Now I"m off to change the wireless key.I wish I had a IT department.