cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585v7 UMA Problems

lylemorrison

Thomson TG585v7 UMA Problems

Hi,
Does anyone know if this router supports UMA technology and if so, how do I set it up to alllow it to work? I have the BlackBerry 9700 on the Orange Network.
Thanks
Lyle
6 REPLIES 6
MrC
Grafter

Re: Thomson TG585v7 UMA Problems

UMA doesn't require anything specific on a WLAN equipped router apart from the phone being allowed to connect just like any other WLAN device. All the intelligence is in the phone and the mobile operator's servers to which the phone connects via IP. Might be worth watching your data allowance figures until you know how much UMA will use.
lylemorrison

I definetly know that my phone isn't connecting via UMA as it would be displayed on my screen and having checked WiFi Diagnostics on my phone it says ISP or wireless network error. Something must be stopping my phone connecting to the UMA servers at Orange.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I don't use UMA myself but a quick google revealed these 2 threads
http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/226048-uma-issues-orange-uk.html
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/222153-orange-uk-uma-router-settings.h...
which you might find useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lylemorrison

I have scanned through a few of these already. As I said in a previous post, the issue is highlighted in bold. How can I perform this on my router?
Found getting UMA to work extremely problimatic. Turns out theres a lot of wifi and port issues that need fixing. I've finally got it working and stable and thought I'd post my settings and where I got them.
My router is a DSL-2640R flashed with v1.06 firmware on talk talk the process may vary slightly on other routers.
The first problem is some blackberry's seem to have a problem maintaining a stable wifi connection where the wifi icon on your device keeps going from white to grey.
Changing the following settings seem to help
These settings are under (advanced settings . wifi settings) on my router
RTS Threshold 2304
Fragmentation Theshold 2304
Becon Period (Reduce this value down from the default 100)
i've set mine at 70 and its fine but simply put, lower is more stable but has the side effect of reducing your blackberries battery life)
Also some basic wifi settings apply like trying to avoid "noisy" wifi channels.
My router has an auto channel scan but you might have to manually find the cleanest wifi channel for your area.
Now you've got a stable wifi connection the next problem is forwarding and prioritising ports. If this isnt set up problems vary from UMA not working at all to things like hearing nothing in phone calls.
On my router I had to give my blackberry a fixed IP to forward the ports to. Some routers can forward to MAC adresses which makes this unessisary.

QUOTE:
UDP
/500
UDP/4500
IP Protocol 50 (ESP)
IP Protocol 51 (AH)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Guide to port forwarding on the TG585 http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch585/default.htm
Edit: also check that your PlusNet firewall setting is either Low or Off since it looks like UMA used an IpSec VPN connection.
See here http://www.plus.net/support/security/vpn_overview.shtml?supporta=vpn

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrC
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Guide to port forwarding on the TG585 http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch585/default.htm
Edit: also check that your PlusNet firewall setting is either Low or Off since it looks like UMA used an IpSec VPN connection.

No, port forwarding over NAT isn't needed as there's no inbound connection at all outside of the VPN.
If the router firewall hasn't been changed from it's default block inbound/permit all outbound setting it'll pass all necessary IPSEC VPN passthrough traffic (IKE and AH IP types) and the IPSEC ports 500 and 4500 from the UMA client (the Blackberry) to the Orange server (unless there's another weird Thomson firmware bug  :)).
Looking at the comments in MisterW's first link my money is on Orange's setup on the Blackberry.
One thing for lylemorrison to check is that the Blackberry can access other services (eg web browsing or email) via the WLAN. If that works OK then that is likely to eliminate the WLAN as a problem.