cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v7 routing help

natandvicky

Thomson TG585 v7 routing help

Hi Guys,
I have just got the above router and I would really like some help setting it up to NAT all the traffic through it to my firewall so in effect it was transparent.
I have tried putting the firewall in the DMZ of the router but all that happens is that i lose connection to the router and the internet.
Please can some one tell me how i can set the the router to nat all the traffic through it?
Thanks Cheesy
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 routing help

Reset to factory defaults.
It comes with NAT switched on.
Your router has it's own firewall.
You should only have to perform minimal configuration to make it work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

When you say firewall do you mean a software firewall on a pc or do you have a hardware firewall? As stated above the router has its own built in firewall which will block most stuff and NAT is the default.
natandvicky

Sorry yes I have a fortigate hardware firewall.
So if I under stand what is being said is that if I factory reset thee router then get it connected to the Internet and then turn off the firewall on the router and give the external interface of the firewall the spare wan address I have that should work?
Thanks
Nat
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

By default the router will block all unsolicited input and allow all output traffic from your network etc.
NAT is handled automatically.
You can port forward selected ports for any servers you are running.
Is your Fortigate firewall one of those anti-spam/anti-virus/firewall type of things?
It sounds quite a bit more substantial piece of kit than the router you are getting (in terms of session capacity etc).
I would imagine that you have no real need to turn off the router firewall (actually, I don't even know if this is possible) and that you could just run the router/fortigate back to back.
The Fortigate firewall should output to the LAN (gateway) address of the router, not the WAN address - default is 192.168.1.254 (?).
Note that the Thomson router has 4 ethernet (LAN) ports (and wireless) and any connections made here would bypass your Fortigate firewall Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You could use the DMZ option of the router, but you would then need to reboot your firewall so it picked up the new WAN ip address rather than the 192.xx address.
I used to do this with my smoothwall firewall and a 585 V6, you can still access the router via the 192.168.1.254 address AFTER you have the WAN address on the firewall
northernstu

MrC
Grafter

Quote from: natandvicky
Sorry yes I have a fortigate hardware firewall.

Which, depending on model and if I'm reading the specs correctly, is in itself a router and has a PPPoE client. So you don't need or even want any of the routing, NAT or firewall functions on the TG585 at all, you just need it for it's DSL modem.
To do this you need to set the TG585 up in bridge mode a template for which comes with Thomson generic firmware (I think Smiley ). Otherwise a hunt around in Google will find some clues.
Alternatively, and probably much simpler, bag yourself a cheap D-Link DSL-320B DSL modem off Ebay to use with the Fortigate and put the Thomson on a shelf as a spare.