cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v7 and Windows 7

dadothree

Thomson TG585 v7 and Windows 7

Hi chaps and chapesses Smiley
Recently purchased an all singing all dancing PC running Windows 7. I have the above mentioned Router (Thomson TG585 v7) and all was running well ... I have surfed the web, checked my emails and everthing is running at its usual pace. My family are all on wireless through the router but my pc is wired through the Ethernet cable. Everything is great ...UNTIL...yes you knew it was coming didn't you... I switch off / power down my pc....When the PC goes off so too does the router Sad  ..No one can surf...boo hoo
Plus Net help people claim this cannot be but it is....My kids and wife are howling mad...I am not keen on leaving my pc on 24/7.
Any help much appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 and Windows 7

It can't happen  Grin
Does the router loose all it's power - i.e. are all the lights off or still on? Can anyone else ping the router in this state?
What happens if you disconnect the network cable from your PC to the router... can others still surf?
Do you have a wireless access card in your PC... if so, maybe the other systems are connected to that and not the router? unlikely but I have to ask.
Where is the router power plugged in? It's not on the same power sockets as your PC by any chance so switching that off switches off the router?
dadothree

Quick response...i like it!...
Ok my Pc and Router are plugged into mains constantly the mains is NEVER off. I tried unplugging the Ethernet cable and I could not surf but the family could. When I power off my PC in the usual way start. shut down... etc...then the Router dies even when retarting the router dies for the few seconds that windows is rebooting. When i actually fully shut down the PC the router shows no lights whatsoever not even the merest flicker.  Then the howling starts (from my family) as No body can access the internet. I'm not very technical but can follow any instructions/ideas you may have.   Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Still a few things to try and report back on above.
Can you try powering the router from a different source i.e. use a long mains extension and plug it into another socket in another room.
Do you have any fancy power outlets like the the ones that try to save power by switching themselves off when things go into standby.
dadothree

Peter again thanks for your response.
I do not have a fancy extension lead and i have tried using a different power socket for the router to no avail. I kind of hoped it would be an nternal setting in Windows 7 as this self same router served me extremely well under XP.... Sad
zubel
Community Veteran

Is ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) running on your machine?
If it is, disable it.
B.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Huh Huh How can that turn off the router power (which appears to be the issue here)
dadothree

Barry whats that and how do i stop it and will it stop my family surfing ?
Peter you hit the nail on the head my Router loses power when the PC is off.....
T.I.A
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Unfortunately the nail should never be there to hit in the first place  Tongue Because there is no way (i know) for the PC to control the power of the router unless the PC is supplying the power to the router (by plugging the router into the PC) but that can't happen as the router uses a power brick.
The problem is none of this makes sense... Something must be happening to the mains supply to the router when the PC is switched off so how are the router and PC connected in relation to the mains power - can you describe the set-up?
[edit to add] I mean are the PC & router connected to a mains extension or directly into a wall socket. If a mains extension can you try without that.
Do you have something like a table lamp you can also plug into the same mains supply as the router - if this goes off with the PC you need to look at the power supply you are using.
dadothree

Peter. I have 5 socket extension. This set up has run fine for two years or more with PlusNet and my previous ISP. PC, Router, Printer, monitor all plugged in. Printer and monitor still have power when PC is off (and router)
As an after thought... Lights on Router are as follows.  POWER>>> Solid green, BROADBAND>>solid green, ETHERNET, WIRELESS and INTERNET all flashing Green....
This all started when i bought this Windows 7 Compaq Presario Desktop.
T.I.A
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you try something silly.
Unplug the power lead to the computer and see if it allows the router to boot up.
If it does I would suspect that something odd is happening when the computer goes into standby (even when the computer is switched off there is still power going to the motherboard)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Looking again at your earlier post.
Are you saying that this
Lights on Router are as follows.  POWER>>> Solid green, BROADBAND>>solid green, ETHERNET, WIRELESS and INTERNET all flashing Green..
is when the computer is switched off and nobody else can surf the internet.
Are the other computers connected by wire or wireless
dadothree

OldJim
The lights were when PC on and family surfing....
Wow..how odd...i pulled the power lead out without shutting down the pc correctly.....NO HOWLS of dismay. The router stayed on my kids stayed surfing.. What does this mean....are we closer to fixing this problem (excuse the 'we' I've done nothing but moan).
Three laptops in house wirelessly connected through this delightful (NOT) router+ my PC wired through ethernet cable into socket #1 on router
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I think OldJim meant shut the PC down properly then unplug the power lead to it? Does the router come back on when the power lead is unplugged?
Do you have another power lead you can try to the PC as either it or the PC itself is suspect, or the power lead to the router is suspect.
dadothree

Peter, OldJim and Barry.
I did the correct shutdown and afterwards i pulled the power lead out of PC. You are NOT goingto believe this but...NO HOWLS....the router stayed on. So i reconnected mains lead to pc. Restarted PC and surfed a bit. Then shut it down correctly (as always) and the Router STAYED ON??? I dont get it....I have done nothing....Nothing has been changed in ANY settings yet it appears to have fixed itself... I am truly grateful for your help guys.....and for your time....I think I may have a 'Ghost in the machine'..
I really cannot explain this...but i will be back it happens again!!!
MANY THANKS AGAIN!!!