cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 - button on front?

mcgerard
Grafter

Thomson TG585 - button on front?

I have the above router and have just enabled wirelss connection in preparation for a visitor who will be bringing his own laptop. I cannot tell yet if the wireless  is working as I don't have any wireless devices. On the front of the router there is a button with a wireless symbol (it may also illuminate - cannot tell) . What is the function of this button? I cannot see any reference to it in the setup literature provided.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Thomson TG585 - button on front?

Is it a Plusnet supplied Thomson TG585?  If so the button doesn't do anything.  v8 of the firmware uses it, possible to enable/disable the wireless, but v7 which is the current Plusnet supplied version doesn't.  Aparantly v8 is still quite a buggy firmware, though I don't have any experience of using it.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mcgerard
Grafter

Thanks for the speedy reply Phil. Yes - I do have the Plusnet supplied V7.
paulby
Grafter

The button is supposed to be used for connecting a wireless client via WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) - see page 22 of the manual.
I haven't tried this as it requires the client to also support WPS.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks for that Paul, and sorry for my mis-information!  Embarrassed
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulby
Grafter

No worries Phil!  I only knew because I got one of these routers for my mother-in-law and hunted down the manual as the one sheet of info supplied by PN only has basic connection details on it!!  (Wanted to know more about it as it'll be me who gets the phone calls when things aren't working Smiley )
mcgerard
Grafter

Paul - Thanks for the link to the manual.
Phil - no problem; the button is still redundant for me.
Gerry