Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson 585v7

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thompson 585v7

Can anyone enlighten me?
I set up a new Thompson router last evening. Well, at least I connected it to a power supply, phone line and via ethernet cable to my desktop. The router managed to do all the rest by itself (the clever little beggar).
All five of the green lights are lit up green, and I was able to update my virus protection, check emails and do a little internet browsing on the desktop, although I didn't get around to setting up my netbook for wireless access.
The setup guide is very helpful, although as I had very little involvement in the process a lot of the information/steps were not needed. There is a button on the front of the router with a wireless symbol on it, which the guide does not mention specifically. If I press it the button flashes orange for a while and eventually stops. Does anyone know what the button is for?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Thompson 585v7

I Have an earlier one, But have heard that it switches the WiFi off
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

@maranello Press and hold for approx 12 secs to turn off WiFi, same again to turn back on.  Cool
maranello
Pro

Thanks to the both of you.
I was starting to wonder if I had either inadvertently turned on or off the wireless, and in my short foray into the router interface I didn't notice if wireless was enabled.
I also couldn't find how to get the noise margin stats, just sync rates, up/downloads and connection time. No description provided in setup guide, so i'll try and find a more detailed user guide.
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

@maranello Not sure where I got the 12 secs to turn off WiFi from but that was what I thought until I read the manual which can be downloaded from:  http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/thomson_multimedia/585_v7.html
Apparently it claims in the manual:
"Registering Clients via the Association Button
Proceed as follows to register new wireless network clients via the association button:
1 Push the Registration button on the Thomson Gateway front panel and hold it for at least two seconds.
2 The WLAN LED toggles between green and red.
3 The Thomson Gateway unlocks the Access Control List for one minute. Wireless clients configured with
the correct wireless settings that try to connect to the Thomson Gateway will be added to the list of
allowed devices.
4 Depending on your wireless client adapter, a wireless icon may become green or a message similar to
the following may appear: “Successfully joined Wireless network Thomson123456”.
5 After one minute, the Thomson Gateway locks the Access Control List again.
Some wireless clients do not automatically join a wireless network. If that is the case, follow
the instructions for the wireless client software to initiate the association.
The registration procedure can be repeated as often as needed.
(I used to be undecided, but now I'm not sure!  Undecided )
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've got a memory from earlier threads that this feature is not enabled in the standard v7 firmware issued with the Plusnet version of the 585.  BobP idd report that he'd had it working on one of the newer firmware releases though.
Perhaps Bob will pick this topic up at some point and give us the current status. If   When it works it will be a very useful feature.
@Maranello  Yup!  That new facility using TR069 really does make it easy for novice Users to connected easily Smiley
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro

@DawnRider and MauriceC
Thanks for the links to the Thomson setup/User guide.
The Security section describes three aspects, the WPA encription, hiding the broadcast id, and the Allow/Deny access control feature which appears to be the function of the button on the front.
In the default Plusnet setup, it is clear that WPA is enabled, and the id is broadcast (otherwise I would not have been able to connect to my netbook). the third feature sounds like a good idea and I will see if I can get it to work, as well as changing the broadcast id once I have disabled the broadcast. It doesn't seem to be much effort to do, and any measure to discourage others from hijacking my connection is worthwhile IMO. If Bob Pullen sees this post and tells me the facility is not enabled, it might save me from wasted time/effort.
I must agree that the TR069 setup works well, as it is ideal for the novice user, and as far as I have determined thus far, does not restrict the more advanced user. For diagnostic purposes it would be helpful to include in the setup guide additional instructions on how to access the full router stats details, but in any event these are available on Kitz's site.
Wireless signal strength seems to be at least as good on the Thomson as the D-Link, as everywhere in the house I can get full strength. Sync rate is similar to what I was getting with the D-Link (~2Mbps), but the d/s line attenuation is slightly reduced on the Thomson (62 instead of 63.5dB). I might try to get a higher sync rate if the noise margin shows an increasing trend during the weekend, otherwise things are looking good.