Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'This page can't be displayed'

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

'This page can't be displayed'

I keep getting this on IE11 under Windows 10. I've checked the IE11 settings, deleted cookies, temp files, other recommended advice on the Windows help site. But it's still happening. Tried Firefox as an alternative, get same problem, although sometimes a refresh cures it. But this 'remedy' doesn't work for https sites, which seem to be when the issue crops up most frequently.

Googling the problem suggests a possible DNS issue, but I don't know how to resolve it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 'This page can't be displayed'

@maranello - As you're using Windows 10 you can set your DNS in the Network Connection for your LAN. Use 8.8.8.8 and or 8.8.4.4 (google DNS) and see if this fixes the issue on your Win 10 machine. Depending on your router and how it's configured you may then be able to set these values for every device connected to it.

Edit:- Added this:

From the Windows button select Network Connections, then select the Interface (labelled Ethernet X) and right click on it and select Properties (at the bottom). Look for the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) entry and double click on it. In the dialog that appears select the “Use the following DNS…” and enter the values mentioned. Click OK, OK then retry your sites.

maranello
Pro

@Mook 

Thanks for your response, especially the additional information which I would probably have had to ask for otherwise.

I was expecting to have to change something in the router rather than windows settings on the laptop device I use. I also use an Android tablet which doesn't exhibit similar problems, but I don't tend to use this for purchases where I seem to get the problem most often.

I'll try your suggestion later when I get home and update this thread, hopefully with thanks for your advice.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you're using a 582n router, it's this issue.

maranello
Pro

Unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue after following @Anonymous's suggestion.

@ejs Thanks for your suggestion. Please could you point me to which post in the (12 page) thread where the fix is.

Update: I've had a quick scan through the thread, starting from page 12 working backwards. Am I correct that the fix is either to replace my tg582n or to get plusnet to push a firmware change? If the latter, is this likely to affect my printer which is set up using the USB port on the router?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If it's a problem confined to https:

• Check your computer clock is set to the right date and time.  If not, setting the correct values will fix the problem.
  • Try the Reset option in Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced tab
ejs
Aspiring Hero

@maranello wrote:

Unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue after following @Anonymous's suggestion.

If Mook's suggestion didn't solve the problem, then it's not the same problem as the thread I linked.

maranello
Pro

@ejs

I'm sorry but I don't understand why @Anonymous's suggestion involving a change to Windows settings is for the same problem where the solution appears to be a router cofiguration/firmware change in the thread you linked in your earlier post. I must cofess that a lot of the discussion in that thread went over my head, and I gave up at the point when the bickering started. 

The problem still exists, surely I can't be the only win10 ie11 user on plusnet using the tg582n router on a fibre connection who has this problem.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

It's because the problem in that thread was with the DNS server within the router itself. The default configuration has your computer using the router (192.168.1.254) as its DNS server. If you change your computer to use different DNS servers, like Google's, or even Plusnet's, you bypass the problem with the router, because you're no longer using the router as the DNS server.

maranello
Pro

@ejs

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. Still leaves me with a problem, but another option to discard.

Checked time/date settings are correct, performed advanced setting reset as suggested by @ReedRichards  even though I have tried this previously.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection?

What DNS server does that connection now use?

Does the problem still occur with Edge?

Is the problem limited to secure https web sites as you suggested at one point?

If so, how are you reading this forum?

maranello
Pro

@ReedRichards

In answer to your questions, 

Mostly wireless

Not sure what it is using now following the reset, will have to check tomorrow

I tried Edge as alternative, but to test it all I did was copy/paste the url from the failed page on IE11 into Edge - it also failed

Https sites may be a red herring, some https sites work

Currently using Android tablet, which is wirelessly connecting to same router as Windows laptop - never had thie same problem

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you want to override your ISP's choice of DNS then you can either fix the router setting or change the setting for each network adaptor (which overrides whatever is set on the router).  If you did the latter then it matters which network adaptor you are using (wired or wireless) and a reset has no bearing.  Some malware makes its own choice of corrupt DNS server which will stay wrong even after the malware has been removed so it's no bad thing to learn how to check what DNS server your different network adaptors are using.

Some security software likes to monitor your internet connections and every few months I come across a computer where Norton (say) has gone wrong and blocked internet connectivity completely.  What security software are you running on your computer?   

maranello
Pro

@ReedRichards wrote:

it's no bad thing to learn how to check what DNS server your different network adaptors are using.

Please tell me how I can check this

What security software are you running on your computer?   

AVG Free version and Windows Defender Firewall

As regards the malware issue, are you suggesting that I could have malware which is reverting any manual changes I make back to previous settings?

Is it possible that the changes I made to DNS settings only apply to whichever adapter was in use at the time? I often switch from wired to wireless use on the laptop, although even when wired I tend to leave the wireless on permanently.