cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This looks interesting DNS.

Lwio
Rising Star

This looks interesting DNS.

‘Set DNS server to 9.9.9.9, and (known) malware and phishes won’t be able to phone home.’

Might be very useful.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/new-quad9-dns-service-blocks-malicious-domain...

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This looks interesting DNS.

LOL !  Funny

Do they think we're stupid ?

What current malware writer worth their salt would use a domain looked up via DNS to phone home ?

Then there is the bigger problem of do they really think people will want to use this DNS when it was founded and funded by the American "law enforcement" agencies.  Of course they won't monitor and record which websites you are visiting, or worse, redirect the returned addresses from DNS to their own phishing or spoof websites to obtain your passwords, no they would never do that, or blatantly lie to congress about monitoring innocent people.

At least using Google or OpenDNS your DNS lookups (probably) only get used for advertising and other profiling, but can (so we are told) only be monitored by the NSA by externally logging the internet traffic.

With this Quad9 DNS the NSA becomes a link in the chain, so could intercept and redirect you anywhere they please.

With existing DNS it is the equivalent of your local burglar watching your front door collecting information of your movements, but using Quad9 that is like giving the burglar your keys and telling them to come in, make a cup of tea and make themselves comfortable so they can watch you all day long and steal stuff when your not watching, then come back the next day and do it all over again.

No thanks

Lwio
Rising Star

Of course this won’t beat the real bad guys but it may stop some of the name slight change ones and that’s the ones that catch the unwary people out.
As for the NSA etc I’m sure they couldn’t give a flying fig about what I’m searching for or visiting they have more important things to do and if they did want to know it would be easy to find out.
So retire the tinfoil hat please.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Lwio wrote:
As for the NSA etc I’m sure they couldn’t give a flying fig about what I’m searching for or visiting they have more important things to do .

Yes like developing cyber warfare hacking tools to get into your TV, phone, PC, firewall and all those talking amazon, google, amazon assistant things that don't have a generic term yet.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely a malware writer would use 8.8.8.8 as a DNS (if they needed to use a DNS at all). Their traffic would be buried by all the normal traffic.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."