cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is starting to get annoying

Mav
Fixes: 514

This is starting to get annoying

I frequently view videos that I've downloaded/edited or just transferred from my camera using VLC player - VLC is my preferred player.
Often I need to rename a video which isn't a problem a lot of the time then, all of a sudden, renaming fails to work with the error:
The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program
Close the file or folder and try again

Closing VLC then allows me to continue renaming.
Things will continue this way till I next boot whereby all works wonderfully till something, no idea what, causes the above to occur once more.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this should happen?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
picbits
Rising Star

Re: This is starting to get annoying

I find this happens when you click once on a video file and windows tried to do some kind of "preview" whether visible or not on it. This locks the file and prevents it being deleted or renamed.
Maybe if you have any preview stuff turned on then try turning it off ?
*edit - also try using list or detail view rather than thumbnail view
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If not the above, do you add videos to a playlist in VLC? Even if it's not open and playing, it could still throw that error if it's in the current playlist. Just a thought though.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Thanks for the suggestions...
Just as I was about to test some of the theories so everything has gone back to 'normal' - without a reboot!
Some video do show a preview some don't but that has never made a difference anyway.
Using List/Detail instead of Thumbnail never made an ounce of difference, either.
I will wait till it starts happening again and test out Matt's theory. Maybe even setting it to not store a Recent Media list may make a difference Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still