cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party email problem

Brain1000
Hooked

Third party email problem

I am having a problem connecting to my work's email server using PlusNet from home. The connection is via IMAP using multiple email clients on my home network (including Thunderbird, ioS, Samsung s9). The clients refuse to connect to collect messages and obviously will not send also. I use Thunderbird on a desktop and laptop. However the laptop will connect immediately using Vodafone tethering, Virgin Media and even PlusNet from a friend's home. I can also connect from the clients when I use a VPN account.

I have used 3 different routers at home (Draytek, Netgear and the PlusNet one) all after factory resets without any success.

Strangely on rare occasions (every couple of weeks) the clients will connect from home for a short period of time (less than an hour) and will then suddenly stop working again even though nothing has apparently changed.

I have discussed this with ISP at work (Swindon Wireless/Relish) without any success. I have also talked to the email server supplier (mDaemon) and they have checked our server logs and it seems that my client starts to talk to the server, the server responds and this then times out waiting for my client to respond. Their suggestion was that it seemed to be a proxy/routing issue within the Plusnet system but this is beyond my expertise.

The same email server was used previously within different premises when we were also able to use Plusnet at that location. Unfortunately Plusnet can only provide a 5 Mbps connection at our new premises.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some ideas of a way forward.

Many thanks in advance, Brian

11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Third party email problem

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from Fibre broadband to Email and then to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Brain1000
Hooked

Hi,

Apologies, I deliberately did not post in this section since I thought it was only for the PlusNet email system which I do not use.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So if you take a portable device to the home of a friend who uses Plusnet then email will work but it doesn't work (except rarely) at your home?  If so, that has got to be significant and suggests that the problem is something to do with your home environment rather than something to do with Plusnet.

Brain1000
Hooked

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes that was my second thought (after I initially assumed that the new work's wireless broadband was at fault).  However I have tried 3 different routers including the PlusNet one with default settings with no improvement when tried with both wired and wireless local network connections.

Note that I have also tried with my antivirus software uninstalled (not just disabled).

I am not sure what else could be causing a problem within my home.

As I mentioned I have also tried using PureVPN from home so that the connection is routed via different IP address and this works fine.

Also I have checked the email server and my fixed home IP is not blocked/blacklisted.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I've seen IMAP struggle over a slow internet connection if there is a large volume of stored emails.  Could it be that your home internet connection isn't fast enough?  

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No reason to think this might be an issue but is your home on a dynamic IP and your friend's on a static one? Or vice versa. Routing could be different.

David
Brain1000
Hooked

Hi ReedRichards, although I do have a large number of emails I do not believe that is the problem since I am on a 70 Mbps fibre connection at home & also by using vpn, where it works, I believe would be a slower connection.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So using the VPN gives you a workaround but why this is necessary remains a mystery.  And you wrote previously that your home has a fixed IP address so it could be a problem associated with that IP address although I cannot fathom what it could be (not my area of expertise).  Perhaps someone from Plusnet can comment?

Brain1000
Hooked

Hi spraxyt many thanks for the reply.  It has taken a while for my friend to let me know that they have a dynamic IP.  I have a fixed IP.

As you suggest it may be a routing issue.  Hopefully someone from PlusNet may know more.

Brain1000
Hooked

Hi ReedRichards.  Yes I agree I have a workaround by using the VPN but it is rather awkward and slow.  Unfortunately I often have to connect to a number VPN locations until I find one with a reasonable speed, but it is better than nothing.

I have tried discussing the problem with customer services but unfortunately it is too complex for them to get involved.  Hopefully someone else from PlusNet may be able to help.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The Plusnet tech support people who comment here know their stuff.  Perhaps a moderator like @Strat can draw this to their attention?