cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of changing my hosting.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Thinking of changing my hosting.

I currently have a reseller account with Eukhost which has been fantastic over the years. I have grown to love cPanel/WHM. However the reseller server has one security feature that limits what I can do with it. It automatically blocks IP addreses that enter a username or password wrong 3 times. This I have no control over and each time it has happened I have had to contact Eukhost by phone to get the IP address unblocked. This means that it is not possible to allow my users access to webmail among other things as in the past they have managed to block their IP addresses and I have learned not to trust the average computer user not to do this.
The option is to upgrade to a Virtual Private server for a little extra. The problem is that I would have to pay monthly for cPanel/WHM and I don't want to. The solution would be to install a free control panel myself probably Virtualmin/Webmin. I currently use Webmin on my own public server at home but have never used this server as a DNS or mail server as I have always ran into problems with these.
Does anyone know of any good tutorials for setting up a vps or any good free control panels with similar options to cPanel/WHM that you could recommend?
I have just ordered the vps and plan to play with it a little before migrating my sites. I can cancel either package at any time.
2 REPLIES 2
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Thinking of changing my hosting.

At last I finally got DNS working properly on my VPS, something I had the pleasure of avoiding with cPanel/WHM. I am one step closer to migrating my websites from my reseller account. Only when I am completely familiar with Virtualmin and able to reinstall the VPS blind folded several times, will I migrate and close my reseller account.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Thinking of changing my hosting.

OK, not sure if anyone is watching this thread but I will ask anyway. I am making progress getting my VPS to do everything I need it to. I have one problem that I cannot get my head around.
In my cPanel reseller account I have several domains parked on other domains which I have been able to do with Virtualmin also. Most of the domains that were parked had wildcard redirects on them for example: main site www.branaghcomputers.com I also have the .net and the .co.uk so I operated the redirects like this: www.branaghcomputers.co.uk/contact would jump to www.branaghcomputers.com/contact in the clients browser.
For testing I migrated the site to the vps and changed the name servers temporarily to point to the vps. Once I was sure that I was viewing the site on the vps I tested the redirects and they worked perfectly but I cannot find where Virtualmin has done this.
I can see the rewrite directives in http.conf for webmail etc but none for this. It must be somewhere because it works. I need to find out so I can recreate redirects like this in future using Virtualmin.