cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying new router.

BenG
Grafter

Thinking of buying new router.

Hi i am thinking about buying a new rourter I had this netgrear one for about 3 years now, but unsure what one to get that will work with plusnet the last time a friend of mine sugested a netgear so that the one I got, I just now looked on amazon and seen this do you think this is a good router and will work for me. To be honest I do not know much about routers like.
my last one cost about £60 this one costs £80
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers...
any info will be helpfull thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Thinking of buying new router.

You don't say which one you have at present nor why you would want to change
I purchased that one to replace my DG834G v4 which appeared to be having trouble (it wasn't the router in the end) but I found that on my line 51dB attenuation I lost 500kbps sync speed because of the change in chip (the v4 used a Broadcom but the v5 used Conexant ) so it went back to Amazon
If you are looking to get a new router I would suggest one with Wireless N capability at least and preferably with IPv6 support
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To me, that looks expensive and somewhat outdated.
As Jim says, if you want good wireless then look for 'N' capability (but beware that comes in different specifications: 'N-lite' 'N150, 'N300' etc. - 'N150 is the minimum for a worthwhile upgrade).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
BenG
Grafter

opps sorry I posted the wrong link the link was to the one I already have
here the link to one I was looking at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-300-Router-Modem/dp/B003FS40KU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=...
Well why I want a new one is because I had it a while, I also noticed that the wireless sometimes drops then comes back on
I also noticed some times my internet light goes off but the internet is still working though if I power it down and turn it back on it ok then.
I also seen a red light a few times no idea what it means. Is my router on it's way out?
Anyway is this router any good for me
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-300-Router-Modem/dp/B003FS40KU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=...
if not can you show me some like I said I am not really an router expert.
Thanks
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That one (amongst many others) should work fine.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.