Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin white line

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Thin white line

I've got a vertical thin white line (maybe a couple of pixels) on a laptop screen.
Although its a Windows 7 machine, it's a hardware fault (it is still there if I try booting from a Linux DVD).
Is this sensibly repairable?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

5 REPLIES 5
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Thin white line

That would entirely depend on your knowledge of stripping down a laptop, most laptops are the same generally way to put together though,  in regards to the line this could be a loose cable or could be the LCD itself that is damaged, I'd reseat all connections first to see if that alleviates the problem, if not you will need to buy a new LCD, you can get most laptop LCD screens online for between £30-£50.
If you have the model number of your laptop handy I can point you in the direction of a compatible LCD and a tear down guide if you'd like.
Doing this kind of thing was my day job and is still a great side project Smiley
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

A line on the screen means a bad connection between the LCD and the controller ribbons, so, unless you're a dab hand with flat-flex reflowing, it's not a DIY repair, new panel time... Smiley
Used to repair laptops a lot for a computer shop, and have cracked many of my own laptop screens too, so plenty of experience in replacing, they're easy, a few screws, a few clips, put it pops, unplug, plug new one in, clips, screws, etc., fixed, 10 minute job... Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

I think £50 + labour costs for a laptop that is 3 years old = not repairable.
I've never open up a laptop and my soldering experience is confined to mains cables.  Grin
Actually, it still works & is basically usable.
Even if the present user refuses to use it, I can put Linux on it and use it as a server.
But I can't think of a use for a server at the moment. Sad

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

We used to charge £90 to fix any laptop LCD, that included parts and labour at the store I used to work at
Media server(plex, emby, kodi)?
VileReynard
Hero

My main PC runs MediaTomb & I can use it to play back non-Drm'd films over the LAN.
Very little configuration to do & there are a number of sites that give free downloads of TV episodes or films.
I've tried XBMC (now called Kodi) on Linux - but it's massively (too) complicated.
I've already got a Raspberry Pi which I manged to set-up to allow access via ssh or vnc - but it's a strictly limited computer.
So I could do the same with any computer.