cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The very Temporary Server

seanbranagh
Grafter

The very Temporary Server

I am having some work done to the house next week and will have plumbers and electricians working in the attic. I have to clear absolutely everything out of there including the server cabinet with the ups, Cisco, Fileserver, Citrix server, all the VM's etc.
As I obviously still need email etc. I have been forced to come up with a temporary solution (pictured). Its not ideal hidden in the bottom of a cupboard but it works, ethernet over powerline network access.
16 REPLIES 16
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: The very Temporary Server

As long as it does the job..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

I like to keep my mailserver seperate from my webserver. The reason being that they host a couple of the same domains but different services. combining them then seperating them again would have complicated the Virtualmin backups.
I knew I could not install Citrix on a 32 bit laptop but I was able to create a CentOS XEN host with two CentOS VM's all on public IP's. Seams to be working well. Not bad for a 6 year old laptop with a 1.5Ghz single core processor and 1Gb RAM.
The servers are now ready to be removed, last bit of downtime required is to cut the power to the routers to remove the UPS.
7up
Community Veteran

lol. A 1.5GHz machine to me is still respectable. I'm currently using a 2.8GHz celeron powered machine and its like a slug compared to my old (very noisy) 1.8GHz Athlon powerhouse.
I've also still got some 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6GHz machines and they're all superior to this intel heap of shit with the exception of the noise.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes, for the mail and webserver the little 1.5Ghz is fine although I am noticing the website a little more sluggish than usual.
Although I don't the laptop could permanently replace my Citrix machine, its an AMD quad 2.6 with 8Gb RAM. Apart from the mail server etc. it also runs a couple of Windows VM's for various projects and has plenty of scope left for expansion.
I cannot even install a Windows VM on the laptop, no processor virtualization support.
7up
Community Veteran

8Gb ram  Shocked
I thought I was doing well with 1!
matt_2k34
Grafter

Sounds like a big of a ballache Sean.
Wouldnt it of been easier to just leave the kit as is, and just move it? or is there really no where you could keep it?Huh
seanbranagh
Grafter

Unfortunately not. There is new heating being installed. Entirely new radiators, pipes etc. All this will be running through the attic (bungalow). Judging by where the new boiler is being positioned outside, the server cabinet will almost certainly be in the way of the work being carried out.
Just moving the cabinet is not an option, it has to be stripped, the UPS alone weighs 65KG at the bottom. My plan is to get the servers etc out and moved downstairs. Then get the UPS out. There is a space for this under the water tank where it should be out of the way as there is no way I am carrying that back down the ladder! I will also take the side doors and front door of the cabinet and move them downstairs. That will only leave the frame which will be easily moved about and worked around.
The laptop has been happily serving my email etc for a few days and I have already shut down the servers in the attic, just to get them moved tomorrow. The opportunity is being taken to replace the old insulation up there also when everything is cleared anyway.
I am looking forward to redoing everything again from scratch. I had planned to run 12 extra Cat5E to the cabinet anyway from downstairs and can do a nice tidy job of this once all the other work has been completed.
This is why I cannot just move the cabinet: http://www.seanbranagh.ie/networking/img/servers_large.jpg
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Sean, I would not put your UPS under the water tank.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Not bad for a 6 year old laptop with a 1.5Ghz single core processor and 1Gb RAM.

Luxury! My home server is a ten year old 440MHz single core processor with 512Mb RAM. It is however an UltraSPARCIIi, so performance is much better than an intel or amd at that speed.
matt_2k34
Grafter

My god ben!
That is pretty sweeeeeet Cheesy
my server is currently : Q6600, 6gb ram, ~7.12TB storage Smiley
I dont think i could live with 440MHz!
I do miss my old Compaq Server though... i really wanna get a new mobo for it and get it up and running... AP400... 2x 700 MHz P3s! beasty Tongue
Mattz0r
Rising Star

My home server: http://mattscully.me.uk/phpsysinfo/index.php?disp=dynamic
woot.... An old Dell from Hell box Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

PHP Sys Info is cool. You can really customize it into your site like I have done: http://www.seanbranagh.ie/info
With 32 IP's courtesy of A&A you will notice that I don't have to nat my servers  Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

All the work has since been finished in the attic several weeks ago. Today I finally got round to starting to get everything back in place. I put some new insulation down and also floored the section where my servers live as it was not floored before.
Things are starting to come together. I have taken the opportunity to run extra cables for future use and make everything as tidy as possible. Another day up there should get it finished so I can get the servers back up and be able to use the laptop for laptop stuff again and not a server!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Sean,  How is it going?  Is it all done?