Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The option to open or download

netreg
Grafter

The option to open or download

Morning all,
I'm after some advice please..  I'm using dreamweaver 8 to build a site and i have a couple of links to some pdf files.  When you click on the links it opens the pdf document which in itself is fine, but I would like the option to either open or download the file.  I know you can right mouse click and select that way but we disable right mouse click.
Is this something that can be done in the html or is it more of a browser thing..
any advice is greatly appreciated.
thanks
netreg  Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable

Re: The option to open or download

Dunno if this helps; http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/links.html#force-download
Do you mind me asking why you disable right-click?
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
Dunno if this helps; http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/links.html#force-download
Do you mind me asking why you disable right-click?

The reason is that it is a karate club and there are pictures of a lot of the kids and so to try and put across a comfort levels for all us parents, we thought it would be appropriate to prevent (as best we can) to prevent downloading them.
I know there are plenty of other ways but it is more to be seen doing something rather than not Smiley

I had a look at the link you provided and it seems as though you cant force the file to download, but i dont want to force, i just want the option... 
kind regards
netreg
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You can't protect downloading of images. The fact that you are viewing them on a web page means the pictures have already been downloaded and stored in the browser cache. So disabling the right-click does not achieve what you are expecting.
Also have you used an IE only javascript code. If so, it will have no effect on other browsers who can right click and download if they wanted too (but as I said above they have the pictures already).
Finally yo get the option to download if you right-click on the pdf link, but as you have disabled then you don't have that option any more. The PDF reader embeds itself in the browser so will always open it up.
Not applicable

Basically was going to say the same as Peter - for somebody to view the site, they have to download the pictures and store them locally anyway, but their browser does it seamlessly in the background before rendering the page.
Anybody who wanted the images could get them from their cache, or by viewing the source to get to the image on its own, at which point it has no html attached, so right-click is allowed again.
Might slow folks down, but really it does nothing except remove functionality.
A better option might be a flash based gallery for images, but depending on your site it might not be a practical solution.
Denzil
Grafter

... and any dodgy character could still just take a screenshot. It may be best just to post any images at low enough resolution that faces are not recognisable. Proud parents will still know who their offspring are. 
Not applicable

Possibility to use logins given to each proud parent to access the part of the site with decent quality images too, but again it depends on the site and what its target audience is, as well as the amount of resource available for building the site.
netreg
Grafter

thanks for the responses guys...  FYI i use a tool called Encrypt HTML Pro to disable the right mouse click.  There is also an option that disables the page caching...
I dont however use it to encrypt anything else as nobody would want to steal my html code anyway  Cheesy
thanks again
netreg
Not applicable

Preventing caching doesn't prevent people from saving copies from their cache (as the copy still goes there so they can view the page regardless of what Encrypt tells you Wink )
And if folks can see your source code, they can see the location of the images and can get them directly if they want, and whatever you do, you can't stop folks taking screen dumps.
Just so you are aware of how much/little control you actually have over images once they are on a site, regardless of the steps you take.
I wouldn't want you to be making promises to people that are impossible to keep. Grin
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
I wouldn't want you to be making promises to people that are impossible to keep. Grin

Indeed, and i sincerely take all the points given on board Smiley 
samuria
Grafter

Dont get carried away if you encrypt your file then you wont get in google as it cant read the file so you loose out with that. If people are going to steal your pics they will so dont waste time trying to stop them a simple google search for pics would pick them up. Unless you have hot pics of Jordans no one really cares.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

A School with a similar problem, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7280088.stm
Also in Essex
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
A School with a similar problem, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7280088.stm
Also in Essex

Yes, I saw that on the news last night...  it is a shame that they feel they have to go to the extent of blurring  the faces..  Huh  Is it too extreme, well we all have our opinions on that..  I must admit that if the club asked me to start blurring faces, i would simply state that if they feel that concerned to either remove the pics or put them in a password protected area.
a sign of the times i feel  Embarrassed