Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The need for Wi-fi

Boz
Rising Star

The need for Wi-fi

Advice please.

I have been using a wi-fi adapter recently, and I’ve found that my original wired-network download speeds were literally decimated.   So I’ve been considering the idea of using powerline network adapters, because all the literature tells me that they can be used as enhancements to the home wi-fi network.    But, having given it a bit of thought, I wonder whether I really need wi-fi.   If I can connect my computer to a powerline adapter at one end using Ethernet and my modem to a powerline adapter using Ethernet at the other end, would I eliminate the need for wi-fi, or am I talking nonsense.

Boz 

15 REPLIES 15
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: The need for Wi-fi

I have got a few of these electrical ethernet plugs and I have found that its very slow (the ones I got are anyway). 100mbps electrical sockets and tranferring files on the network is painfully slow. My wireless on the other hand is 300mbps through my wireless N router and wireless N PCI-E card on my PC.

I use the electrical sockets for less network heavy devices as these sockets just did not cut the mustard when transferring files between my PC and laptop.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I got fed up with powerplugs and/or wireless, so I installed Gigabit wiring on my downstairs internet access. Upstairs has to make do with wifi.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Boz 

I have recently upgraded my original (100mb) powerline adapters to a pair of tp link av500's cost around £25

Now getting speeds in excess of 450mbs to my PC - you can add additional adapters to the powerline network - provided you get the same type there is no loss of speed.

Regards

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

For me it depends on what you're connecting PC, smart telly, Blu-ray and Youview box need Ethernet so use Power line adaptors, Hudl, iPad and smartphones require wi-fi simples. 

SWMBO is much happier with powerline adaptors than cables clipped to the skirting boards 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@Mikewalsh wrote:

Hi Boz 

I have recently upgraded my original (100mb) powerline adapters to a pair of tp link av500's cost around £25

Now getting speeds in excess of 450mbs to my PC - you can add additional adapters to the powerline network - provided you get the same type there is no loss of speed.

Regards

I don't believe it. Shocked

Ethernet adaptors will negotiate a speed of 10/100/1000 Mbps - but not 500Mbps (even if the connection can support 500Mbps).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Ethernet on my TV is only 100Mbps so this will have to do Cool

tvwifi.PNG

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Those are Ethernet standards not powerline !

AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit
TL-PA4010KIT
HomePlug AV standard compliant, high-speed data transfer rates of up to 500Mbps1
Miniature design, smaller than most powerline adapters at the market, blends discreetly in front of any power outlet
No new wires, Easy Plug and Play operation, No configuration required
Patented Power-Saving Mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85% Roll_eyes

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i have 3 of these around the house Smiley http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/PLP1200.aspx

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
mikewalsh
Rising Star

Tplink and other manufacturers also do av1200's but they are more than twice the price of the 500's. Ensure you check for multicast compatibility if using them for a Youview box - the Tplink av500's are compatible.

Regards

Mike

Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for all the replies everybody.   I think you've answered my original question, which is that powerline adapters will provide the link I need between the computer and the modem.    It's now a question of choosing the right ones to give me a respectable download speed.

Boz

Boz
Rising Star

By the way, why am I getting Plusnet Community Mailer emails for every post that is made on this topic?  Can this facility be switched off?

Boz

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Click Thread Options->Unsubscribe

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Boz wrote:

By the way, why am I getting Plusnet Community Mailer emails for every post that is made on this topic?  Can this facility be switched off?

Boz

Alternatively to Browni's reply you can click on your name in the top right corner and select Settings. Then select Subscriptions and Bookmarks then Notification settings. Set "For my forum subscriptions, notify me for " to "Only the first post in each topic"

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for the info, Mav.   I've switched about everything off now.

Boz