cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The directory or file cannot be created

dgk
Grafter

The directory or file cannot be created

I have a problem saving things onto my memory stick. It is a 1G memory stick with 180 MB used. I get the error message “ the directory or file cannot be created”
when I try to say a Word file.
Thinking the memory stick might be faulty I transferred all the files to another one gig memory stick. However I had the same problem. I cannot save the Word file onto a memory stick directly, it will save into one of the two folders already on the memory stick. (There are some 15 Word files already saved on the memory stick but not in folders) I tried to create a new folder on the memory stick but got the same error message” the directory or file cannot be created”. I can however create a new folder in side one of the two folders all ready on the memory stick
As I say this fault has occurred on to memory stick although it is possible I suppose that I might have transferred what ever is causing it on to the second memory stick when I copied over the data.
Has anybody any suggestions
3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: The directory or file cannot be created

It's not you or the memory sticks, it's word.
If you google something like 'microsoft word save error usb' - you'll see there are people experiencing the same issue.
Formatting the memory stick as NTFS may help, but looks like you could be stuck just copying and pasting.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dgk
Grafter

The problem seems not to be just associated with Word, if I try outside of word using my file manager program to create a new folder on the memory stick I get the error message “ an error occurred creating folder”new folder” the directory or file can be created.(82)” . I can't however create a new folder within an existing folder on the memory stick
I have just tried saving a Lotus 123 file onto the memory stick which is drive E on this laptop and I've got the error message” this directory of disk t; is full, choose another directory .”
I have tried saving the Word file on my C drive, and then copying the Microsoft Word file onto the clipboard and pasting it onto the memory stick.That didn't work I get the error message” cannot copy xxxxx; the directory or file can be created.”
samuria
Grafter

First step is to format the memory stick in case its got corrupted