cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The case of the disappearing modem

Not applicable

The case of the disappearing modem

I have just reformatted my friend's XP desktop computer. All went well - security in place, Internet connected wirelessly, updated and programmes installed.
Took it back and set it up, then the Found New Hardware wizard popped up.
Device manager showed Other with 8 instances of PCI/yellow question mark. Couldn't fathom what it was finding and the drivers weren't on the motherboard disk.
The wizard wouldn't go away even when I ticked don't alert me again so I assumed it was the dialup modem which I didn't need and decided to select don't use this device to shut it up.
This morning the wizard popped up again and when I checked in Device Manager it was the HP all-in-one which my friend hadn't installed properly. However, at this point I happened to notice that the Modem key was displayed along with Intel Best Data Fax modem (no yellow question mark).
The printer was duly installed, went back to DM and lo and behold - the Modem key was not there.
This is all very strange to me as I am not all that au fait with reformatting - in fact I have only done two.
I am assuming that it displayed briefly because the wizard had popped up (albeit for another issue) but has now gone into hiding because I have ticked that I don't want to use the device.
At some point in the future I will probably obtain the drivers for it from the Internet so what do I do about installing them when I can't see the Modem key in the list?    Huh
5 REPLIES 5
Lurker
Grafter

Re: The case of the disappearing modem

The all-in-one device may have been recognised (correctly, or incorrectly) as being a modem.
Some of them do have a modem function, as they are also fax machines sometimes.
Or, because XP didn't recognise it, it could have just been mistaken into thinking it was a modem.
Either way, its nothing to worry about. Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Is it the Modem and Fax on the Printer?, the drivers are probably on the HP disc
James G beat me to it, I have a Lexmark that has Modem and Fax
Not applicable

Not sure about the fax/printer thingy as it is a Hewlett Packard and I haven't actually studied it - just installed the thing.
Either way, I can't see that the Intel Modem is installed if it is not there in the list.
I am a bit computered-out right now (the little grey cells have demanded a rest) so if I get round to dealing with it later, presumably I can just download the drivers, open it and it should work? 
Luckily, I ran a Belarc profile of the machine some time ago so if my friend can find it I will know exactly which drivers to search for.
samuria
Grafter

In device manager select view at the top and then select show hidden and see what pops up. Does the pc have a modem it should be simple to spot at the back
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice which should do the job. All I needed to know was how to view it again so that I can re-enable it and update the drivers when I get the correct ones. It is unlikely that we should need it but you never know.