Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PlusNet Newsgroup reader..

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The PlusNet Newsgroup reader..

Is there any way to subscribe to a non-PlusNet group in the PlusNet Newsgroup reader?
I know it's possible to search for, read and post to many thousands of newsgroups - but is it necessary to type in the partial newsgroup name?
I do have access to the PlusNet news server via other methods - but an integrated solution would be preferable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: The PlusNet Newsgroup reader..

I'm assuming you mean the newsreader via the portal? If so then it's there for PN groups and therefore unlikely that we'll offer others through it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you want to read non-Plusnet groups through your browser try http://groups.google.co.uk/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Chris
I'm assuming you mean the newsreader via the portal? If so then it's there for PN groups and therefore unlikely that we'll offer others through it.

Not so!
It can be used to read the 60K+ other news groups out there - provided you put in the name of the desired news group as a search term.
I know it's possible to use google to access news groups - but it messes up the threading - not to mention all the top posting that results from it's use.
Many mail clients provide a reasonable newsreader interface.
Just thought it would be nice if I could click on the portal link and see a list of the newsgroups I subscribe to.
Since PlusNet pay for access to SuperNews so that I can use their server, I assume that provision of this kind of facility would be a low-cost option?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So why can't you do as most people do and use a proper text group newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: jelv
So why can't you do as most people do and use a proper text group newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird?

A very good point.
Just seems a shame that PlusNet provide a basic newsreader which lacks only the ability to subscribe to a newsgroup.
Anyway:  Grin A minor irritation plus a little bit of googling led me to discover pan - a much better option.
BTW For those who need to control content available to users, the search facility may cause difficulties as it is essentially a web interface into the (more or less) unregulated world of usenet. In particular, access to groups for the "discussion" of paedophilia is available.

Ianwild
Grafter

Just to let you know, we are planning to replace the usenet reader on the portal with one that runs from the community site and is a bit more functional.
Whether that will be restricted to the PlusNet hierarchy or open ended (or some combination of popular groups to read) remains to be decided.
Ian
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Ian
Just to let you know, we are planning to replace the usenet reader on the portal with one that runs from the community site and is a bit more functional. Whether that will be restricted to the PlusNet hierarchy or open ended (or some combination of popular groups to read) remains to be decided.

Thanks!
Very pleased to hear it - but can I persuade you make it the PlusNet heirarchy plus any user requested groups?
I recognize that some people would want to block all newsgroups (except PlusNet), some would want to block unmoderated groups and some would want to take all groups.
Personally, I would not be sorry if all the alt.sex heirarchy were completley blocked (might be one or two exceptions...).
Any approximate timescale on this?

Colin
Grafter

The Roadmap for the Community Site has been published at http://community.plus.net/webportal/2007/10/25/roadmap/ and according to that, March 2008 is the (current) scheduled date for it.